How do you put in military schools credit in amcas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am asking this question for my friend who is applying this year. This also will help me for next year for I am also previous military. We are aware of AARTS but from there on the instruction book is not very helpful. Anyone accepted with previous military schools? preferably Army...

Members don't see this ad.

What is/are AARTS? I'm soon-to-be-ex-Navy and I'm also wondering about military school credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh God it really is a nightmare for us previous military folks. AART is like an Army transcript that lists all your schools attended while in the military (basic, ait, ncb school, etc.), I think that the Navy one is called SMART. Anyway it does somewhat explain (in the amcas instruction book page 60)how to go about putting down military school on the AMCAS application but it is very fuzzy. If you call amcas you will get a different answer every single time! no kidding here. It seems that even amcas is somewhat confused about how to go about this for every AARTS or SMART is different...it really is a pain in the neck. If you are applying this year good luck to you. Thank God my application is not until next year and helping my friend do hers is confusing me even more he he..

I just entered it as regular class work but denoted it as military. Do not forget, AMCAS must have an official AARTS sent to them along with other transcripts!!!

Don't worry about what the credits count for. AMCAS will edit them for you (basically telling you they are worthless.) :confused:

Will the addition of military classes to your AMCAS app impact your GPA? I think the classes are considered pass/fail, but this whole AMCAS process seems to generate GPAs different than most people initially calculate.