AMCAS Coursework military questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chssoccer7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To start- I'm sorry if this should be in the AMCAS questions thread, but I don't see one for this year yet.

Two questions-
1- I have a metric ton of coursework from my Joint Services Transcript that I have to add. These didn't give me any credit towards my 4 year institution, but they have ACE recommended semester hours so i'm adding them per the guide. What year (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) do I put for these? I assumed freshman because these were before attending my four year institution but it's significantly more than the 30-ish credits AMCAS calls out for year classification so i'm a little lost.

2-I took a few classes online while in the military, one of the colleges I took them through gave me ~90 credits of transfer credit based on my JST. Do I need to list those transfer credits as coursework under that college too even though I didn't take the classes, or is listing them under my JST enough? I did not earn a degree from that school, just took 3 classes.

The user guide is helpful but it is woefully unhelpful when it comes to military scenarios. I checked Reddit and did a search here but couldn't find much, hence the post here. I've emailed AMCAS support but I don't know how long it'll take to get an answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Add only “Military Courses” and add them to where your credit hours would be. So if they are your first credits they would go under Freshman. You get ACE hours with “Military Experience” too, but don’t list those. And don’t have to list transfer credits.