How do you qualify for a Physical Therapist Assistant Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krackerotto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much straight out of high school, I have very little college units done...so my question is, can I right now straight up apply for one of these private colleges that offer these two year degree programs or do I have to finish a certain amount of units from a community college before even thinking of applying for programs? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

most PTA programs are done at community colleges...check your local community college to see if they have an accredited program. If you apply to the community college and get in, then you should be able to apply to the program (or you may be able to apply to the program at the same time...some will require you take a few general bio classes before applying to the program, but others will let you apply with no previous coursework).

Definately check with your schools of choice.

I looked into a PTA program in my area with the idea I would do it for "a while" as I continued to apply for PT school (That way I was making the 40,000K PTA salary rather than the 20,000K PT Tech salary).

However, I found out it was MORE competitive, and that the school was not even looking at applicants unless they had an undergrad degree already.

I quickly decided to cross that path off my career map. Total of 6 years of college and training to top out at 50,000K a year? No thanks.

Just check with your college. They will have all the stats and details that you will need to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
My community college doesn't offer a PTA program. I live in Southern California. I guess I'll have to call these private colleges....anyone else have experience with applying for these programs?