Is attending a program that is a Candidate for Accreditation safe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starxshadow

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked before, but it was many years ago. I am finishing my applications and will apply to two schools that are candidates for accreditation (HPU and OSU-Cascades). Is this a smart idea? What happens if I get accepted and they do not get accreditated? Can I still sit for the license exam?

Members don't see this ad.

As of a decade ago, the following is true, and I assume that it still holds true.

Schools that are candidates for accreditation are required to have a plan for their students if the program is not accredited. Often this involves an arrangement with an accredited program. You are not allowed to sit for the license exam in you do not graduate from an accredited program.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this question has been asked before, but it was many years ago. I am finishing my applications and will apply to two schools that are candidates for accreditation (HPU and OSU-Cascades). Is this a smart idea? What happens if I get accepted and they do not get accreditated? Can I still sit for the license exam?
If the school does not get accredited, you will end up with nothing plus money/ loan spent on your "potential education" that will turn to be useless. Don't go unaccredited route unless you have no other choice. If you choose to take a chance, be mentally prepared to loose money and time. I know someone who ended up like that.

No, you can’t sit for the licensing exam If they aren’t accredited.
However, typically the timeline is such that they *should* be accredited by the time you graduate. I went to a brand new program that got accredited by the time I graduated. New programs are watched under a microscope so as long as the school is taking the steps to make the necessary changes to get accredited, you *should* be okay, which is obviously not a guarantee. My school was extremely transparent with us and told us about every checkpoint, every review, and every thing they were asked to change and how they were changing it.
I felt safe attending this school as it is local to where I grew up and live, so I knew the reputation of the school as well as the program director and had full faith they would be successful. Do some research into the schools you are looking at and see how you feel about their success and reputation. It is a risk for sure, but it can also be a fairly minimal risk if you do some research.
And by the way, should they not get accredited, you cannot transfer those credits to another school.
Good luck!