How do you read textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meander

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting this out of the way, yes I know how to read.

I've always had profs who gave lecture notes so I've gone off of those and never cracked a textbook. All of my profs this semester (bio, physics, and ochem) are giving textbook readings only and working problems instead of really lecturing in class. I know I need to massively overhaul my study routine.

Usually I would skim lecture notes in advance, go to class and take notes on the slides, then make Anki cards based on the slides + my notes (plus work problems as needed -- problems I'm OK on). Now I'm not sure what procedure to use. Do you read multiple times? Take notes by hand first? Skim before class, write flashcards after...? What has worked for you, especially if you are a person like me who has a lot of trouble focusing on a textbook?

Members don't see this ad.

I usually read the assigned reading BEFORE lecture and I don't take notes on it. Then I go to lecture and take notes during lecture as needed. Most of My professors have been great lecturers but if they aren't so amazing I will use the textbook to take my notes. Finally I go home do homework or study using flash cards! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Mine is very similar but I thought I would share anyways! Definitely read beforehand (I highlight like a madwoman). I just started doing that this past year and it made a huge difference. This way you're not learning first hand from the prof and struggling to listen, understand, and take notes. When you read beforehand you can also ask questions to clarify (yes I realize you can go to office hours too but this is easier). I make flashcards on the website StudyBlue (which has an app for iPad, iPhone, and probably android). Depending on the type of class I try to do practice problems after the class then try another set a few days later if I have time or save them for studying before a test.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I read the assigned readings before class, but NOT the morning of; day before class works best, personally. Practice problems/guiding problems that are within the chapter and/or at the end usually solidify the material 95% of the time. If I am still a little confused about something, I go into lecture and... well, look at that! The professor just taught me something I couldn't figure out on my own! That is usually the point of pre-lecture reading assignments.