How do you report hours/time for an organization you own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1080380

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll probably put the boost and accelerator programs as internships or something along those lines (you can then reference your mentor(s) or organizers for each program).

As for the actual organization itself, if you have the mentor/accelerator/boost, that in itself is probably enough to give it a superficial sense of legitimacy. I doubt AOs would care as much about the specific numbers of hours you did—results are probably more important and what you achieved.

I mean generally, if you've been through a formal accelerator program you're organization is probably doing decent and must have some sort of website; if an AO thinks it's sus they can just google it? IDK. lol. Overall I don't think it's something to fret about, it's not like putting 1k vs 2k vs 3k hours will drastically change how your achievement/org's achievements are viewed.

I'm the co-owner and technically VP or whatever; my roommate is the CEO officially. Like should I just put his name down as a reference or how does that work?

For what it's worth, I probably have worked the equivalent of a part-time job's worth of hours for about 2 years...so like...many thousands of hours (probably a lot more since I really went into it during the summer).

There are no official logs of these hours or anything except for two programs I did at my undergrad—a "boost" program where we essentially got a mentor and resource management to help facilitate growth, and then a formal accelerator where we got like a boatload of money and more formal, direct help from some more powerful people.

It's health-related and results speak for themselves, but at the same time, I don't know how an AO would perceive me referencing myself and putting down like 3000 hours for some activity.
Why can't you reference the CEO of this organization or one of your mentors? :unsure:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the CEO is my brother and roommate and is not in college anymore....is that okay? If that's fine then sure, I was just under the impression that listing someone with my same last name and that was my roommate may be kind of weird (sorry for not clarifying that earlier). Also full clarification,
"CEO" is just what he is legally, it's not like he's working more or is actually doing more than me; we aren't a huge business or anything.

As for the mentors they each only worked with us for a total of 5 months (accelerator: 3 months, boost: 1 month), which is not at all representative of the full timeline, so they could only account for around 30% of the hours I would have listed. Also on the AMCAS application, I list the fellowship and booster as separate activities, so I would still need an actual reference for the organization itself.
In my opinion, it's better to list a non-relative as the contact person (whenever possible) for activities such as this. Since the booster and accelerator programs were both integrally related to your organization, why separate them into three activities? Can your contact for the accelerator program speak of your efforts leading up to your partnership? If there truly is no one else inside or outside your organization (co-workers? underlings? staff from your college's student affairs office?) who can objectively attest to your hours, then you have no choice but to list your brother as your contact. He is the supervisor/CEO after all. I struggle to understand how listing yourself in this scenario is any less "weird".

Also, how you perceive your role in this organization is largely irrelevant: your brother is the boss. The second author on a publication can't just self-identify themselves as a co-first author if it was not specified in print.

And out of curiosity, how many people are in this organization of yours? If the answer is "two", then calling yourselves the "CEO" and "VP" seem overly self-congratulatory to me. Am I the CEO of my own one-person non-profit advisory company? Legally, we can call ourselves whatever we want, though it doesn't make it any less lame. Just my thoughts. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user