How do you request for extension from detailer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CabbageKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to be doing my credentialing tour at Norfolk for 1 year. My civilian wife just got her license to practice pharmacy and is applying to jobs around the area. I would really like to stay in the area for as long as possible to reduce the stress for my wife getting licensed and job hunting every year if possible. How should I address my detailer to increase my chances for this extension? I was told that Norfolk is a very big base with multiple commands that need dentists so it shouldn't be difficult - can anyone confirm any truth in that statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to a ship. VERY HIGH chance to stay in the area for 2 years and high odds of getting a shore command after that tour. You could be looking at 6 years in the area before a possible physical move. Also, know that if you are "4 and out" you can cut your orders at 1 mark of those shore command orders assuming you didn't have the Navy move you before. PM if you have questions I'm in the area currently and have a very similar experience.