How do you respond to highly charged interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...when you have a strong feeling about the issue. I'm referring to moral issues like abortion. Are there right and wrong responses?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. The wrong response would be to lie about what you think. Likewise, a wrong response would be something that you say just because you believe its what they want to hear and can't speak meaningfully about it.

Basically, they ask you these things to make you sweat and to try and figure out how you will react under pressure and make decisions when you are forced to consider medical necessity vs your moral stance.

DrYo12 said:
Yes. The wrong response would be to lie about what you think. Likewise, a wrong response would be something that you say just because you believe its what they want to hear and can't speak meaningfully about it.

Basically, they ask you these things to make you sweat and to try and figure out how you will react under pressure and make decisions when you are forced to consider medical necessity vs your moral stance.

Well i'm more concerned about the second part of your response. I would not lie, but rather speak my mind. However i am totally against abortion; and I know it's an accepted medical procedure, so how do you respond to a question like that knowing you are probably not holding the most widely held view? Do I just say I am opposed to it but if a patient came to me requesting such a procedure, i'd counsel her and refer her to someone else? I mean honestly I'd have reservations of being instrumental in getting her to that endpoint, but I know it's expected of a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
Well i'm more concerned about the second part of your response. I would not lie, but rather speak my mind. However i am totally against abortion; and I know it's an accepted medical procedure, so how do you respond to a question like that knowing you are probably not holding the most widely held view? Do I just say I am opposed to it but if a patient came to me requesting such a procedure, i'd counsel her and refer her to someone else? I mean honestly I'd have reservations of being instrumental in getting her to that endpoint, but I know it's expected of a physician.

If speaking your mind is going to involve you becoming a monster and becoming the Hulk, I'd probably advise against it :p but this really is a question of how YOU would specifically respond. Personally, I'd say something to the effect that I would feel better prepared to address the medical necessity of an abortion if the woman first received counseling by someone appropriate, ie if she were raped, rape counseling or if she were reckless in her behaviour or some other reason, appropriate psychological counseling. In my mind, it would be something that I'd want to be sure that the person were well versed in the reasons for having a procedure (as in anything, really), for making decisions without the patient on board, yada, yada, yada...and if the bottom line is that you couldn't do it, I don't think you necessarily need to get into all the underlying philosophical reasons why not but simply say that if the procedure were medically necessary you would excuse yourself and refer her to someone else to do it. There is something to be said for a person that is willing to recognise his limits and remain professional... :oops:

I think you need to be honest about your feelings, but make sure you maintain your calm. I agree with DrYo12, that they want to see you sweat it out. So if you get flustered or upset during your answer, then that would be the "wrong" answer. Further, they may respond to you negatively and see how you react. ie You're against abortion, so they might jump on you and tell give some example of how the abortion HAS to be performed (or something else that might inflame you), and see how you handle yourself when challenged. Just stay calm, while maintaining your integrity. I guess ultimately they figure if you can handle the pressure of a controversial issue in the interview, then you might stand a chance of handling it when a patient or the patient's family is screaming in your face . . . and you're still capable of making a good, informed, honest decision.

Have people really been getting questions like these - that are that emotionally charged? The reason I ask is because all of my interviews have been very conversational - more about me, what makes me tick...I haven't even been asked WHY THIS SCHOOL or WHY MEDICINE. Maybe that's because I'm older...I don't know...I've been asked some challenging ethics questions though...

Anyways, I agree wtih the other posters - speak your mind, PS. Qualify what you say with, "this is an issue about which I feel very strongly..." or something like that, so at least the interviewer knows where you're coming from. I agree with DrYo - these types of questions are really about seeing how you think and where you're coming from...reason it out, show both sides, explain why you feel more strongly towards one side, and you'll be A-Okay!

ajt2003 said:
Have people really been getting questions like these - that are that emotionally charged? The reason I ask is because all of my interviews have been very conversational - more about me, what makes me tick...I haven't even been asked WHY THIS SCHOOL or WHY MEDICINE. Maybe that's because I'm older...I don't know...I've been asked some challenging ethics questions though...

Yeah, I don't know if these types of questions are person-specific or what. But I did know a guy that got asked how he felt about euthenasia (sp?). He was for it, and later felt like the committee didn't like his answer. He didn't get into that school. I don't know . . . from what I've been hearing your interviews are more the norm. Who knows. :)

Psycho Doctor said:
Do I just say I am opposed to it but if a patient came to me requesting such a procedure, i'd counsel her and refer her to someone else? I mean honestly I'd have reservations of being instrumental in getting her to that endpoint, but I know it's expected of a physician.

Yes, I think something like this would be fine. What the interviewer will likely be looking for (other than how you handle responding to an emotionally charged topic) is the fact that although your moral views may differ from your patient's, you can put this aside and refer her to proper medical care. Be honest, caring, and try to keep your answer short and sweet (don't make the conversation more emotionally charged than it has to be, if that makes sense).

PS. I agree with ajt, you likely won't run into this question in an interview. I know EVMS does ask, but I really haven't heard of many others that do so.

duke asked me a series of 5 moral/ethical questions, including, "if a girl came in asking for her 4th abortion, what would you do/say to her?"

other ones included, "write me a play about the ideal doctor and describe the plot and the characters," "you're advising an insurance company who is deciding between keeping a woman on life support with no chance of recovery and dropping hundreds of patients, or taking the woman off life support and keeping hundreds of patients," and "a man wants to give part of his liver to an anonymous recipient, but his wife is strongly opposed to the idea, what do you tell her?"

I got a question about abortion at one interview. I was very startled by how candidly the interviewer just asked about what I think is a quesiton that you can make serious enemies over... After I answering with my own opinion in the most respectful way he told me that he wasn't really interested in my exact opinion so much as he just wanted to know that I had an opinion. I think that is true for many aspects of the interview process. The interviewers don't care alllll that much about what you have to say, they just want to know that you think, have thoughts, and can make decisions.

ajt2003 said:
Have people really been getting questions like these - that are that emotionally charged?

I got a question about what I thought about abortion and embryonic stem cell research. Luckily for me, my interviewer was one of the sane ones - a big supporter of this important research, just like me, and we had a nice conversation about religious extremists trying to run this country :) Whatever happened to separate of church and state? That was our main topic for about 20 minutes. It was great.

Psycho Doctor said:
I mean honestly I'd have reservations of being instrumental in getting her to that endpoint, but I know it's expected of a physician.

Yes, it is.

There have been some indepth discussions about this exact topic in the past few months, the kicker being that you are risking patient abandonment if you refuse to refer. Whether or not you're guilty would likely depend very much on the inclination of the judge and jury. I'm not trying to start a discussion about it here (so please god, lets not go there). The point is that you should read up on this issue as much as possible - maybe even start another thread about it in everyone. Why? B/C this is a hot topic right now and if you lay down a blanket statement such as "I won't refer," then you had better have some ammunition to back up it. Otherwise an interviewer who disagrees with you could rip you apart.

Again, I'm not trying to poo-poo your views. But as you mentioned in your original post, this view goes against the mainstream in medicine... and that's always a dangerous place to be during an interview.

Good luck,
S.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm ok about responding to the question in general unless they badger me because they disagree with me. Is it often that interviewers reflect their own opinions into the discussion. I feel I can defending my point of view as long as it's ok to have a different stand on the issue than the interviewer and 80% of the medical professionals.

Psycho - I recommend practicing with a friend. Have him or her prod you with statements that you strongly disagree with, such as science being evidence that God doesn't exist, that abortion is good because it keeps the population under control, that religious people make bad doctors, etc., just things that you know will piss you off. Practice responded calmly, without getting flustered in any way and without raising your voice. Sit up straight, but don't raise to the edge of your seat, and don't shake your head, roll your eyes, or scoff when they say something outrageous. If you can speak passionately about your beliefs without being preachy, while respecting the other persons POV, then you're good to go. :thumbup:

Most importantly - Don't preach, and don't assume the moral high ground! The quickest way to lose a debate is to assume that your responses are morally superior and will hold moral weight.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Psycho - I recommend practicing with a friend. Have him or her prod you with statements that you strongly disagree with, such as science being evidence that God doesn't exist, that abortion is good because it keeps the population under control, that religious people make bad doctors, etc., just things that you know will piss you off. Practice responded calmly, without getting flustered in any way and without raising your voice. Sit up straight, but don't raise to the edge of your seat, and don't shake your head, roll your eyes, or scoff when they say something outrageous. If you can speak passionately about your beliefs without being preachy, while respecting the other persons POV, then you're good to go. :thumbup:

come on, would anyone dare comment God not existing? Or are you just trying to get me to practice on hypothetical issues?

Do you think anyone will ask my POV of eating doggie sandwiches? because I'm totally against that as well. ;) (it is cute though)

SanDiegoSOD said:
Most importantly - Don't preach, and don't assume the moral high ground! The quickest way to lose a debate is to assume that your responses are morally superior and will hold moral weight.

Yea i know sometimes moral issues can come off that way; I hope that i would be cognisant of that for an interview; but sometimes that can also be misconstrued based on one's own insecurities.

Psycho Doctor said:
come on, would anyone dare comment God not existing? Or are you just trying to get me to practice on hypothetical issues?

Do you think anyone will ask my POV of eating doggie sandwiches? because I'm totally against that as well. ;)

I doubt that anyone would comment that God does not exist. But that wasnt the point - it's to get you used to reasonably responding to comments that you feel are outrageous. If you can tackle the big issues, than you will have little trouble handling the small ones. :thumbup:

And I agree about doggy sandwiches. But kitty sandwiches? Delicious! :D

And I agree about doggy sandwiches. But kitty sandwiches? Delicious! :D[/QUOTE]

haha delicious. i love going clubbing. especially when baby seals are involved. anyway i got asked a whole bunch of crazy questions and sometimes people try to take a stance, not b/c thats what they truly believe but bc they want to test you, so you never know. i got asked questions about drug use and then my interviewer said " i think crack should be sold in supermarkets because if people are going to do it they will do it anyway and at leas tthis way it keeps costsa nd violence down" and alot of other stuff, it was pretty fun i think. i just said what i believed (which is probably kinda crazy sounding since im an uber liberal manhattanite) but anyway, just say what you think is right for you, and dont think "They cant possibly ask that question" b/c they might! and at least you can be prepared. good luck PD, u have a lot of interveiws in my city! :luck: