how do you say goodbye to ur lab?

Started by deleted802724
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted802724

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was in a lab for a year or so and i got an email from one of the most legendary labs at my undergrad. And I can't do both tho because i have no time... but how do I say goodbye? I think the current lab i was in noticed that i have been working very hard and so there has been love and hate and some beautiful moments - i think they were planning something for me for next year - , but I can't help but want to go to this lab that is very legendary at my institution..

How do I part ways without tears/hatred/anger in either side?
 
Just be honest with them, and don't leave them in a bind. Offer to train the next person who comes on to replace your role, and explain to them why you've decided to move on. People come and go from undergrad labs all the time, just do it respectfully and you'll be fine.
 
Just be honest with them, and don't leave them in a bind. Offer to train the next person who comes on to replace your role, and explain to them why you've decided to move on. People come and go from undergrad labs all the time, just do it respectfully and you'll be fine.
I don't know how to be respectful in this case though bc i made myself look like the lab i am in is litreally the best thing that ever happened in my life. The legendary lab thing... I just didn't think i'd get contacted by a legend
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know how to be respectful in this case though bc i made myself look like the lab i am in is litreally the best thing that ever happened in my life. The legendary lab thing... I just didn't think i'd get contacted by a legend

The whole "legend" thing is a little cringeworthy, just btw.

As Teenyfish said, just be respectful and open about what you choose. Offering to help train your replacement is a nice way to do this, but isn't absolutely necessary. If your research interests align with the other lab and you think you'll be happier in that environment then by all means go for it. I will say though that don't jump ship just because the other lab is "legendary".
 
I was in a lab for a year or so and i got an email from one of the most legendary labs at my undergrad. And I can't do both tho because i have no time... but how do I say goodbye? I think the current lab i was in noticed that i have been working very hard and so there has been love and hate and some beautiful moments - i think they were planning something for me for next year - , but I can't help but want to go to this lab that is very legendary at my institution..

How do I part ways without tears/hatred/anger in either side?
I don't know how to be respectful in this case though bc i made myself look like the lab i am in is litreally the best thing that ever happened in my life. The legendary lab thing... I just didn't think i'd get contacted by a legend

Ultimately-Barney-most-legen-wait-dary-guy-around-well-miss-him-very-much.gif
 
Thank them for what they've done for you, respectfully say you're moving on to another opportunity, and offer to train or at least leave good instructions for your replacement (aside from your lab notebook).

And also provide donuts on your last day. A dozen donuts are $10ish at Dunkin and everyone loves donuts.