How do you study for exams? Share your study secrets/methods!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dysic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what kind of study routines people have adapted to ace exams. :D

Almost everyone I know (80-90%), learns and studies most of the material from the course textbook. They attend a majority of the lectures and take decent notes, but they do most of the learning/studying from reading the textbook.

I have adapted the opposite method in studying. I haven't bought a single textbook (except for lab manuals) since sophomore year, because I barely opened my books during my freshmen year. Textbooks were expensive, and for me, practically useless.

My method of studying was to focus solely on what the professor lectured on. I attended every lecture, focused and ready to learn. While the professor lectured, I listened intently and took notes like a scribe. As I gained more experience with college exams, lecture settings, etc, I learned how to fine tune my note-taking techniques and became much more adaptable to the different teaching styles.

My favorite professors were the ones that wrote well-organized notes on the blackboard, because not only did that slow the lecture pace, it made it easier for me to take good quality and complete notes. But I also have adapted, and learned methods to take good notes with professors that teach with powerpoint. (But I don't want to get into too much detail about that...)

Anyways, after I have a good set of notes, I review the notes at least 3 times before the exams.

Here is a little taste of my study habits. (when I was in my "prime" student study mode)

1. Attend all lectures and take good quality notes.
2. Try to quickly review notes (just a quick glance / run through) before attending the next lecture. (I usually do this on my way to school on the bus, or arriving 10 minutes early to class, or both.)
3. Attend TA-led discussions. I try to find TA's that have taken the class with the same professor. In these discussions, we go over material the professor wants us to focus on.
4. On weekends, I would quickly review any materials that I didn't have a chance to look at during step 2. Usually, I would have to review the material for the heavier/harder classes during this time. (Keep in mind, it would only take me 30 minutes at most to review the notes since the material is still fresh in my head)
5. Exams are imminent. Attend the review session.
6. Go over all my notes to study for the exam. (Here is my only heavy study block. I thoroughly read through my notes. Committing the material to memory isn't that hard because I have already reviewed the material a few times.)
7. Exam day. Wake up earlier than usual and start scanning through the material very quickly. Continue scanning the material while I go to school on the bus. Then when exam time comes, ACE the exam. :D

* The number of times I reviewed the material (including the review session and TA-led discussions) is 5. This is not including the teacher's lecture. This may seem like a lot of time spent studying, but that's really not the case. Except for step 6, most of the studying is done in small chunks, when it is very convenient to do some quick reviewing. (ex. reviewing material on the bus). Except for step 6, there really isn't huge chunks of time allocated for studying.

Grades are obviously really important to me, and are my priority while I attend college. But I also really value my spare time. Compared to my friends who study with the book, not only do I get a better grade, I also have a lot more spare time. I love playing soccer, playing video games, and watching movies and I have done all 3 regularly (practically everyday, except for finals week) throughout my undergrad.

I had a very successful undergrad career at UCSD. I got really good grades and I really enjoyed life. I'm not bragging. I'm no genius. I have just adapted a really efficient way to study. In my opinion, the course textbook is full of information that is interesting, is related, but most of it won't be on the exam. So you could potentially spend more time studying and not get a good grade.

So after reading this wall of text, please share your study methods that have attributed to your academic success.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Physics Lab doesn't give out A+'s? I'm no genius (did my work and labs in class like I supposed to do), but I got an A+ for PHYS 1C Lab.

Gold star...

You will find that regardless of how you study - it will likely need to be adapted when you get into pharmacy school - be flexible

Members don't see this ad :)
so you dont use your book?im glad it works out for you and thats awesome. i just cant imagine using a book. im still in high school though and im going to a community college next year.

So I usually get the textbook and read it at the beginning of the class, but then as the quarter goes on, I have less time, and I don't read it as much. It is helpful, though, if you need more background on a subject. Also, for classes like o-chem, I use the book for problem sets.

My main form of studying is writing all my notes on 4x6 flash cards. I started this with o-chem, and now I do it with all my classes. I can usually make the cards while watching TV (and then I don't feel as guilty about catching up on my favorite shows!). I then review these cards as much as possible. For me, though, the act of writing the cards helps cement the info in my head a lot.

Office hours are useful, too, as are review sessions before the exam. I don't do office hours as much now that I'm in grad school as I'm busier than before. But if I need to, I can make an appointment with the professor to go over something.

So I usually get the textbook and read it at the beginning of the class, but then as the quarter goes on, I have less time, and I don't read it as much. It is helpful, though, if you need more background on a subject. Also, for classes like o-chem, I use the book for problem sets.

My main form of studying is writing all my notes on 4x6 flash cards. I started this with o-chem, and now I do it with all my classes. I can usually make the cards while watching TV (and then I don't feel as guilty about catching up on my favorite shows!). I then review these cards as much as possible. For me, though, the act of writing the cards helps cement the info in my head a lot.

Office hours are useful, too, as are review sessions before the exam. I don't do office hours as much now that I'm in grad school as I'm busier than before. But if I need to, I can make an appointment with the professor to go over something.

i started note cards during organic chemistry too. trying to memorize all those reactions was never easier.

I'm lucky in that most of my professors use powerpoint and post their notes on Blackboard, so I just print them out and annotate when listening to my professor in lecture. I almost never read the textbook unless it's assigned pages. I take all homework assignments seriously and take down correct answers when we go over it in class.

For tests, many of my professors give study guides (again, awesome) so I just look up the stuff I need to know. I can get away with cramming for a few hours the night before a test, but I don't recommend this. Still, undergrad courses are fairly simple to pass and get good grades in, as long as you study exactly what you need to know. Humanities are easier than science courses, and all I had to do was learn key terms. I never waste time by reading the chapter, so my total studying/hw for a day is usually an hour. But I have a feeling this will change when I'm in pharm school...

+1 for index cards in Organic. It's the easiest and most effective way of learning those reactions and IR ranges.

There's a nifty read by Cal Newport called "How to Become a Straight-A Student" Alot of my study habits have come from that book.

http://www.calnewport.com/books/

I'm curious to see what kind of study routines people have adapted to ace exams. :D

Almost everyone I know (80-90%), learns and studies most of the material from the course textbook. They attend a majority of the lectures and take decent notes, but they do most of the learning/studying from reading the textbook.

I have adapted the opposite method in studying. I haven't bought a single textbook (except for lab manuals) since sophomore year, because I barely opened my books during my freshmen year. Textbooks were expensive, and for me, practically useless.

My method of studying was to focus solely on what the professor lectured on. I attended every lecture, focused and ready to learn. While the professor lectured, I listened intently and took notes like a scribe. As I gained more experience with college exams, lecture settings, etc, I learned how to fine tune my note-taking techniques and became much more adaptable to the different teaching styles.

My favorite professors were the ones that wrote well-organized notes on the blackboard, because not only did that slow the lecture pace, it made it easier for me to take good quality and complete notes. But I also have adapted, and learned methods to take good notes with professors that teach with powerpoint. (But I don't want to get into too much detail about that...)

Anyways, after I have a good set of notes, I review the notes at least 3 times before the exams.

Here is a little taste of my study habits. (when I was in my "prime" student study mode)

1. Attend all lectures and take good quality notes.
2. Try to quickly review notes (just a quick glance / run through) before attending the next lecture. (I usually do this on my way to school on the bus, or arriving 10 minutes early to class, or both.)
3. Attend TA-led discussions. I try to find TA's that have taken the class with the same professor. In these discussions, we go over material the professor wants us to focus on.
4. On weekends, I would quickly review any materials that I didn't have a chance to look at during step 2. Usually, I would have to review the material for the heavier/harder classes during this time. (Keep in mind, it would only take me 30 minutes at most to review the notes since the material is still fresh in my head)
5. Exams are imminent. Attend the review session.
6. Go over all my notes to study for the exam. (Here is my only heavy study block. I thoroughly read through my notes. Committing the material to memory isn't that hard because I have already reviewed the material a few times.)
7. Exam day. Wake up earlier than usual and start scanning through the material very quickly. Continue scanning the material while I go to school on the bus. Then when exam time comes, ACE the exam. :D

* The number of times I reviewed the material (including the review session and TA-led discussions) is 5. This is not including the teacher's lecture. This may seem like a lot of time spent studying, but that's really not the case. Except for step 6, most of the studying is done in small chunks, when it is very convenient to do some quick reviewing. (ex. reviewing material on the bus). Except for step 6, there really isn't huge chunks of time allocated for studying.

Grades are obviously really important to me, and are my priority while I attend college. But I also really value my spare time. Compared to my friends who study with the book, not only do I get a better grade, I also have a lot more spare time. I love playing soccer, playing video games, and watching movies and I have done all 3 regularly (practically everyday, except for finals week) throughout my undergrad.

I had a very successful undergrad career at UCSD. I got really good grades and I really enjoyed life. I'm not bragging. I'm no genius. I have just adapted a really efficient way to study. In my opinion, the course textbook is full of information that is interesting, is related, but most of it won't be on the exam. So you could potentially spend more time studying and not get a good grade.

So after reading this wall of text, please share your study methods that have attributed to your academic success.

Strange, do you get hw problems from textbooks? If so, how do you do the hw problems? :confused:

Your professors don't take information directly from the book? In my experience, most professors only go over "the big picture" in lecture and leave it up the student to learn the material in-depth through the textbook. I have had many classes in which the professor would pull at least 50% of the questions directly from text in the book that he/she did not mention in lecture. I don't think I could use your method, but i'm glad it works for you! :thumbup:

i do a similar thing but without notecards, and it has really helped me be more efficient in studying. the years i didn't do this i really wish i had, i think i would have made more As.

I go over the lecture notes and write down anything i don't already know in kind of an outline form on several sheets of paper. writing it down helps me remember, but also being able to recall where it is on the paper has helped me several times- if it is on paper i can remember something that i wouldn't have if it was written like any other lecture detail on a notecard, if that makes sense. you know how if you can remember reading something and you know it was in a certain place on a page, you have an easier time recalling those details? this method has worked really well for me and i haven't made less than an A ever since i started doing it.

Gold star...

You will find that regardless of how you study - it will likely need to be adapted when you get into pharmacy school - be flexible

I agree.

Do you think I will probably need to use the book?

If so, I'm probably at a slight disadvantage....heh.

Oh well, I'll find a way :)

I'm lucky in that most of my professors use powerpoint and post their notes on Blackboard, so I just print them out and annotate when listening to my professor in lecture. I almost never read the textbook unless it's assigned pages. I take all homework assignments seriously and take down correct answers when we go over it in class.

For tests, many of my professors give study guides (again, awesome) so I just look up the stuff I need to know. I can get away with cramming for a few hours the night before a test, but I don't recommend this. Still, undergrad courses are fairly simple to pass and get good grades in, as long as you study exactly what you need to know. Humanities are easier than science courses, and all I had to do was learn key terms. I never waste time by reading the chapter, so my total studying/hw for a day is usually an hour. But I have a feeling this will change when I'm in pharm school...

+1 for index cards in Organic. It's the easiest and most effective way of learning those reactions and IR ranges.

There's a nifty read by Cal Newport called "How to Become a Straight-A Student" Alot of my study habits have come from that book.

http://www.calnewport.com/books/

Just the little excerpt from that book gave me some good ideas.
And I will definitely use notecards for Organic Chem when I get to school since so many people recommend it.