How do you study for part 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beaneek

IU 2009
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what books you recommend studying from for NBEO 2, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me get my score first, and I'll get back to you. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I used that book too. It was good. Good enough that I would recommend it. It's better to use it as a sort of outline to study from. For the most part, it was a good representation of the kinds of questions on the actual exam.

Other things I used: random handouts passed down from class to class.

I also made a list of some of the main systemic diseases, wrote down the main points for each, made sure I knew any ocular manifestation if applicable, and what labs pertain to the diagnosis.

This may vary from year to year, but it seemed like there were a LOT of questions about chlamydia.

Ok so it turns out my study method worked pretty well. :laugh:

The textbook from authors Jannus & Bartlette were very helpful. There were almost a dozen questions from that book. Know your glaucoma meds, cornea & your ocular disease. Good luck!!!

A little repetitive but:

1) Luxottica TMOD guide (formerly Cole Vision) in combination with Will's Eye Manual
2) Berkeley guide for systemic review and optics
3) NBEO questions book as posted above, the explanation of answers really helps
4) past study materials (the ones that are emailed out 50 times in the months before boards from upperclassmen), particularly the 1000 facts (keep them in your clinic coat or something to refer to whenever you have downtime) and sample questions

That should pretty much do it.. concentrate on disease and know all the ocular drugs and their contraindications/side effects.

4) past study materials (the ones that are emailed out 50 times in the months before boards from upperclassmen), particularly the 1000 facts (keep them in your clinic coat or something to refer to whenever you have downtime) and sample questions
Oh yeah, the 1000 facts was great! I got so many questions from that guide I would have missed otherwise.

Ah, good times. :scared:

I used the Berkeley Guide, and I think there was one from SCCO that other people said was a little better. I also used my class notes for oc pharm and disease.

Some people used this book -- http://www.amazon.com/Butterworth-H...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200969443&sr=8-1 . It looked pretty good -- it's full of questions in multiple choice format, and explains the correct answers.

I wish we'd had that book when I was in school! I used only the Berkeley Guide (which was weak) , Cole Vision TMOD guide, and Mass Eye and Ear. (plus class notes)

I did just fine :)

hey does anyone have the 1000 facts for part 2 boards? no one at my school seems to have them. it would be a great help.
also how did you all get the luxottica tmod book?
thanks!

There were a few people in my class that had 1000 facts for Part 2, but I never saw them (I just had 'em for Part 1). It probably would have been helpful, but it didn't really hurt me that I didn't have it. It is good to have SOMETHING easily accessible to read when you have downtime in clinic though. For me it was Mass Eye & Ear.

The Lux TMOD book came from going to one of their spiels. I also had an older, photocopied version that was making its rounds. It had some really good stuff in it, but honestly, mine was MIA most of the time I was studying because I lost it moving between different rotations.

"past study materials (the ones that are emailed out 50 times in the months before boards from upperclassmen), particularly the 1000 facts (keep them in your clinic coat or something to refer to whenever you have downtime) and sample questions"

HI everyone,
does anyone have the above study materials, could I have a copy of that? I haven't received any email from my upperclassmen and i'm in china doing my external rotation.
thank you,

[email protected]

ANY ONE THAT TOOK THE BOARD 1 NA 2
I NEED STUDY MATERIAL
GRADUATE 1987 LONG TIME AGO
WHAT IS Luxottica TMOD guide (formerly Cole Vision) AND WERE i CAN GET ONE.
ANY STUDY REVIEWS OR GUIDE THAT CAN MAIL ME . I WILL APRECIATED
I AM PLANNING TO TAKE THE 2 PART FIRST

Hi all,

Taking the TMOD in NYC next month, and I saw this in an old message re study materials:

I've purchased the Luxottica guide, and know about the Berkeley and Butterworth books. I'm interested in knowing more about these '1000 facts'. What are they, and would anyone be willing to part with them in the very near future?

Thanks for any advice/input anyone can provide.

TD

A little repetitive but:

1) Luxottica TMOD guide (formerly Cole Vision) in combination with Will's Eye Manual
2) Berkeley guide for systemic review and optics
3) NBEO questions book as posted above, the explanation of answers really helps

That should pretty much do it.. concentrate on disease and know all the ocular drugs and their contraindications/side effects.

I was wondering if you could help to send me those past study materials or share any part of materials. Your input is highly appreciated.
BTW, I am preparing for me NBEO exams now.

Good luck to you.

contact infor [email protected]

If I could just bump this thread and see if anyone would be willing to send me the '1000 facts' mentioned above? Thanks so much! :))