How do you update schools of new activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kuune

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm submitting my app this week, but there's a hole in shadowing experience (I only have 6 hours from shadowing two surgeries). I'm starting a shadowing program on June 21st where I can shadow primary care physicians 3 hours a week. I'm already "accepted" into the program (the coordinator has my name in the books, but there wasn't any application process), and I can't start earlier because I'm going to be out of the country up until the week before.
From what I gather, I shouldn't put the program down on my list because I haven't started it yet. But is this an exception because i'm already in the books?

My current plan is to submit early, and send updates about the program after I've gathered a decent amount of hours.

My questions are:
1. Is the lack of shadowing going to hurt me so much that I should hold off sending in my app?
2. If I want to send updates, show do I go about doing that? Do I send a letter to AMCAS to distribute to schools, or do I mail schools individually? Who do I address the letters to? What information do I need to include in such a letter?
3. When should I send update letters? As soon as I start the program, or after I've accumulated hours? How many hours? If I send the letter before June 24th, will schools see it early enough that my lack of shadowing will not affect my chances at getting secondaries (for schools that screen for secondaries) or interviews?

Additional information:
3.97 c/sGPA, 35O MCAT
170 hours clinical volunteering
3 years research, 1 publication
Various shorter term activities: TA, private tutor, club leadership, dept awards.
Strong LORs from profs, research PI, and nurse I volunteered with.

Applying to a lot of top 20 schools so any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My questions are:
1. Is the lack of shadowing going to hurt me so much that I should hold off sending in my app?
2. If I want to send updates, show do I go about doing that? Do I send a letter to AMCAS to distribute to schools, or do I mail schools individually? Who do I address the letters to? What information do I need to include in such a letter?
3. When should I send update letters? As soon as I start the program, or after I've accumulated hours? How many hours? If I send the letter before June 24th, will schools see it early enough that my lack of shadowing will not affect my chances at getting secondaries (for schools that screen for secondaries) or interviews?
1. I wouldn't think so. Some people think shadowing is a must, I've always thought as long as you have some clinical experience showing you have some idea of what you're getting into, that's fine.

2. Mail schools individually. Many schools will have an email like "[email protected]" where you can send questions and updates like this.

3. I'd do it after you accumulate hours; talking about what you did while on the experience will be more compelling than just saying, "I'm going to do this."