How do you utilize your pharmacy interns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbarth101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I work at a hospital in the Midwest, and the interns work 4:30-11 PM. There are always 3 interns a night, and we usually have one of the following assignments for the night:

1. Pyxis/Unit Dose
2. IV Room
3. Emergency Department- Medication Reconciliation

My director asked me to think of other ways to better utilize the interns versus having us doing technician jobs. He eventually wants to establish a formalized internship program that best prepares us for our future work. I will mention on evenings there is usually not any other technicians. Therefore, the only ones here from 4:30-11 are 3 interns and 2 pharmacists. Thank you in advance for your time, effort, and consideration in the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I work at a hospital in the Midwest, and the interns work 4:30-11 PM. There are always 3 interns a night, and we usually have one of the following assignments for the night:

1. Pyxis/Unit Dose
2. IV Room
3. Emergency Department- Medication Reconciliation

My director asked me to think of other ways to better utilize the interns versus having us doing technician jobs. He eventually wants to establish a formalized internship program that best prepares us for our future work. I will mention on evenings there is usually not any other technicians. Therefore, the only ones here from 4:30-11 are 3 interns and 2 pharmacists. Thank you in advance for your time, effort, and consideration in the matter.

Probably just have all three become master med rec techs, that will prepare you guys the most for your hospital job.

Reactions: 1 user
I love the intern med Rec idea - not 100% of shifts, but it's a great way to work on patient communication and learn about outpatient meds you don't see inpatient.

As an intern I did all the tech duties (for which I am thankful!) but also did renal dosing and iv to po and pneumococcal vaccine inclusion/exclusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are a warm body to fill the register so my more experienced techs can fill/input fast

Have them work on patient care programs.
Have them take MD calls.
Have them perform transfer ins/transfer outs
Have them perform consultations while you listen.

Have them do EVERYTHING you do except for verify. Just listen. Keep an eye (ear) out and give feedback in the moment. That's how you make a good pharmacist for the future.