How do you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predental89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deal with timing on the QR section?? I feel so bad after I time myself with a math destroyer test :/ I went through it once already but casually not timing. The second time through I am timing myself and It sucks I get only half right :( how do you guys increase speed? motivation? please? lol

Members don't see this ad.

The way i deal with math is basically just skip every single question i know will take too long, mark a random choice, and move on lol. Obviously, if there is time left over u go back to it, if not, oh well.. This works differently with every person obviously, what would take me a few minutes could take someone 2 seconds, etc. But just dont spend too much time on anything, with more practice u will be fine

Deal with timing on the QR section?? I feel so bad after I time myself with a math destroyer test :/ I went through it once already but casually not timing. The second time through I am timing myself and It sucks I get only half right :( how do you guys increase speed? motivation? please? lol

try going through chads math videos. Theyare free and arent too long. They go over quick ways to get to the answers without sometimes actually trying to solve them. Helped me...

Members don't see this ad :)
The key with math is repetition. With Destroyer you have what? 10, 12 tests that you can practice with?

Time yourself, 45 minutes, answer as quickly as you can on each. If you can't answer, go past it, come back. But make sure you have given each question its allotted time.

When you are done, go through it. Yes, you will miss questions and possibly because you were rushed. The key here is to synthesize what you are doing wrong. Now is the time to correct and get faster. And to learn what you don't know.

Again, Destroyer isn't the test. This is practice and you should practice under real conditions. Get yourself laminated sheets, dry erase marker and eraser. Time yourself in EVERYTHING, and see what needs improving.

My QR is not that hot. 18. But This is up from a diagnostic of 14 and my prometric experience was horrible. I had to get up and get my sheets replaced because they told me I was not allowed to erase. That I had to turn in marked pages and get new ones. But I assure you I did not run out of time and every question was answered.

If I had not trained under test conditions I would have done worse.

agree with above, repetition will allow you to familiarize yourself with your more difficult problem areas, and practice them outside of test conditions so you can fly through them.

some of the problems will take too long no matter what, in which case i SKIP, not guess on it, so i can go back to it at the end without it being blended in with the other problems i marked.

by the time you get to test 5, you know what to expect. i also also used a "cheat" sheet while doing my practice tests, and by the 10th test i had memorized it and rewrote it before taking the actual exam on my dry erase.

thank you guys you really gave me some motivation to keep going I feel a lot better now. I will take the advice and run with it:)

the math destroyer and chad's math videos (no longer free) are awesome QR helps. i also used khan academy videos, which are free. like the above posts say, time yourself in everything. my first math destroyer test took me nearly 2 hours to complete and i was working with a study partner on all of the problems. we only got about half of them right, so i had a lot of work to do. i kept pushing myself to get faster and by test 6 i could barely complete it all in 45 minutes. i only made it through the first 9 math destroyer tests before test day, but i felt pretty good about it. math destroyer is way harder than the actual QR section, so if you can do it in the time limit you should feel good about the real thing.

i completely disagree with skipping questions - it just wastes time because now you have to read the question twice and try to reason through it twice. it's better to give it your best effort the first time through and just mark it for review if you happen to have extra time. because i had forced myself to do math destroyer tests in the time limit i finished my actual QR section with 8 minutes for review and i was pretty happy with my 26 QR score.