how doable is a ob/gyn resiency with a family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay i have a LONG way to go yet...lol (understatement of the century) but am already thinking ahead to a primary residency in either peds or ob/gyn before pursuing a specialty in medical genetics (but i must admit i am also *highly* interested in neonatology or maternal fetal medicine). i have two (going on three) children and am trying to figure out which residency will be more family friendly (so to speak). my children will be 11, 7 1/2 and 4 by time i start a program if that helps any :)
tia for any info or insight you have to share.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

If you're picking the more family friendly residency between peds and ob/gyn, peds definitely wins, hands down. This doesn't mean you cannot do an op/gyn residency with a family, it will likely just be a bit harder on you and the family. Ob/gyn is a surgical field, which means lousy hours because you have to learn how to take care of patients AND how to operate on them. Also, although you can do genetics through ob/gyn, I think it's actually a pediatric fellowship. ("Medical genetics" is actually a subspecialty of internal medicine and mainly deals with genetic cancer syndromes, BTW.)

From your post I'm assuming you are early in your education. Just keep in mind that as you progress through medical school you will very likely change your mind. You will also gather more and more information about these specialties and their opportunities after residency to make a much more informed decision. One thing to always remember is that the residency is usually much harder than the actual practice of most specialties. (Thank goodness!)

I am personally hoping that ob/gyn can be done with a family. People seem to do it everyday, which is comforting. Good luck with everything!

it seemed to me that a very large percentage of folks in ob/gyn had families. on my interviews it ranged from 25-50%. if they can do it, so can you!

best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
On the interview trail, I've come across plenty of OB residents with children. I've met some that had kids before residency, and I've also met several that had babies while residents. I definitely wouldn't rule out OB over some other specialty perceived to be more family friendly, because it can be done.

When looking at residencies, you'll know which ones are more "family friendly" when some residents have kids.

mommy2three said:
okay i have a LONG way to go yet...lol (understatement of the century) but am already thinking ahead to a primary residency in either peds or ob/gyn before pursuing a specialty in medical genetics (but i must admit i am also *highly* interested in neonatology or maternal fetal medicine). i have two (going on three) children and am trying to figure out which residency will be more family friendly (so to speak). my children will be 11, 7 1/2 and 4 by time i start a program if that helps any :)
tia for any info or insight you have to share.

I think the best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to choose the specialty that fits you the best and try not to judge that just on what residency is like. I had no other choice but to do ob/gyn because there was nothing else in medicine that felt as right as ob. I have two year old twin boys and have felt nothing but support from my home school, as well as all of the schools I have interviewed at for residency. In some respect, I think having children prior to residency is easier. You will have had time to establish a strong relationship with your children. Even though they will miss you and you will miss them, they will know that you love them! There are definetly programs in both fields that are more family friendly than others. I think that if you are open about theimportance of your family, it is easy to weed out those programs. It might mean not selecting or being selected by a program that appeals to you, but why would you want to train somewhere that didn't support who you are as a person?
Good luck.