How Doctors Die

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, I've already told my family that if given the choice between dialysis and slow, painful death, I pick slow painful death.

Dialysis isn't a slower painful death?

Members don't see this ad :)
End of life care will eventually implode our healthcare system. If someone wants to get serious about reform, that's one of the few majors to tackle.

Yep, I decided when my dad died of a brain tumor that I would not go to my grave like that. He was the smartest man I knew; valedictorian of his high school, an electrical engineer, and an avid do-it-yourselfer. When he had surgery for his brain tumor, they removed the left front quarter of his brain. He went from doing the jumble and crossword every day to drooling in his oatmeal. That is NOT what I would want for him, or me.

If I come down with a life threatening illness, and the choice is be alive, but unable to function, I would choose the quick death.

I agree with the anecdote in the original story, tattoo DNR in large letters across my chest and call it good.

dsoz

Pfft. Fatalists.

www.alcor.org

- and before anyone scoffs and makes a joke about 'the matrix' or whatever, consider that our 'therapeutic hypothermia' protocols are... working. Think about what we (will) be able to do in 5... 10 years from now.

Pfft. Fatalists.

www.alcor.org

- and before anyone scoffs and makes a joke about 'the matrix' or whatever, consider that our 'therapeutic hypothermia' protocols are... working. Think about what we (will) be able to do in 5... 10 years from now.

So you want to be a "corpsicle"? Or go just with the "neuropreservation" program? (That's where they cut your head off and freeze just that.)

Vanilla sky forever. Has anyone else noticed that dialysis centers are spouting up like weeds.

So you want to be a "corpsicle"? Or go just with the "neuropreservation" program? (That's where they cut your head off and freeze just that.)

Full preservation. Living beats the alternative every day of the week. Cue our quarterly argument about objectivity, cognitive dissonance, and white magic; round 3.

(That's where they cut your head off and freeze just that.)

Well, it worked out well for the Headless Monks... at least till Demon's Run.

tumblr_lsf8yurge11qiun54o1_400.jpg