How does a leave of absence affect how programs view you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrismander

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all--I'm a 3rd year with a strong overall application so far in terms of USMLE, research, and letters of rec/grades. However, in my first year, I had some personal difficulties and had to take 3 months off, which set me back a whole year. I came back to school after those 3 months and did research for 7 months, resulting in a 2nd author publication in a respected (but not #1 or 2) journal. Since then things have been good, with additional research time between 2nd and 3rd year yielding a first author "brief report" in a decent journal, and great grades & evaluations from housestaff & attendings.
So how are residency programs going to view that 3 month black hole in my personel file? Is "personal difficulties" going to be enough, or am I going to have to spill my life story to them? Does this cut my application strength down across the board--are top specialties just off the table for me now?
Thanks for your help...

Members don't see this ad.

nothing. i had to take year off and still landed in a great program. if asked, just say what you told us. LOA is just one small variable in the many subjective factors that is considered. good luck.

They do ask you what you did during your time off. But if all else is good in your application (which it sounds like it is) you should be fine. Just answer honestly.

Chrismander said:
Hi all--I'm a 3rd year with a strong overall application so far in terms of USMLE, research, and letters of rec/grades. However, in my first year, I had some personal difficulties and had to take 3 months off, which set me back a whole year. I came back to school after those 3 months and did research for 7 months, resulting in a 2nd author publication in a respected (but not #1 or 2) journal. Since then things have been good, with additional research time between 2nd and 3rd year yielding a first author "brief report" in a decent journal, and great grades & evaluations from housestaff & attendings.
So how are residency programs going to view that 3 month black hole in my personel file? Is "personal difficulties" going to be enough, or am I going to have to spill my life story to them? Does this cut my application strength down across the board--are top specialties just off the table for me now?
Thanks for your help...

You'll be fine. I did the same thing and got my 1st choice. In a roundabout way, I would imagine it might make your app. stronger because it shows resilience.

Hi--thanks for everyone who's written. a related question--are they going to probe what and why I took off for? what if I'd rather not say?

Chrismander said:
Hi--thanks for everyone who's written. a related question--are they going to probe what and why I took off for? what if I'd rather not say?

Well you are free to answer as you please, just be ready for the consequences and accept them when they come.

I imagine that some won't mind if you are very tactful about it and don't seem defensive/secretive.

However, people are people and if you seem secretive about something their mind is free to imagine whatever they wish. They may also not want to work with someone that is so "secretive". etc.

Nothing is ever as bad or as good as it seems. Besides that, how happy could you be if you had to go through your residency worrying about what they might think "if they find out". If you tell them at least you know the program you matched knew everything and respected your work and accomplishments enough to want you regardless.

Chrismander said:

They will ask during your interview, "What did you do?" or "Why did you decide to take time off?" I imagine that "I'd rather not say" is not a good answer to give during your interview, so you will have to prepare another answer in advance.

Chrismander said:

hey, you sound like a pretty smart person, so you can probably come up with a positive spin on whatever. i'd just try to keep the personal details short, 'cuz no-one wants to hear a long drawn out drama :sleep: , you know what i'm sayin? just be up-beat and come across as positive and enthusiastic, and interpret any obstacles as learning opportunities, yada yada

I took a 3 month leave because I was having personal issues and doing poorly in school. Like you this set me back a whole year but unlike you I had to redo the whole year because of an integrated curriculum. My transcript, MSPE, and ERAS were written such that it stated personal LOA form certain date to certain other date. No details given.

Was able to secure interviews everywhere I applied except a Harvard affiliated program (but all the other top interviews) and matched within my top 5.

About 1/2 the programs I interviewed at asked me about my LOA to which I simply stated that I was having personal issues and wanted to do things right and felt I could not do so at that time and hence took a LOA. That was fine for all but one program which drilled me a bit more. Needless to say I ranked that program toward the bottom of my list.

I think it helps to know how your school will describe your LOA on your transcript and MSPE.

hapahaole123 said:
I took a 3 month leave because I was having personal issues and doing poorly in school. Like you this set me back a whole year but unlike you I had to redo the whole year because of an integrated curriculum. My transcript, MSPE, and ERAS were written such that it stated personal LOA form certain date to certain other date. No details given.

Was able to secure interviews everywhere I applied except a Harvard affiliated program (but all the other top interviews) and matched within my top 5.

About 1/2 the programs I interviewed at asked me about my LOA to which I simply stated that I was having personal issues and wanted to do things right and felt I could not do so at that time and hence took a LOA. That was fine for all but one program which drilled me a bit more. Needless to say I ranked that program toward the bottom of my list.

I think it helps to know how your school will describe your LOA on your transcript and MSPE.

awesome post! :thumbup:

yo chris, i betcha you can even meet with the dean of your school to negotiate the wording of your LOA. remember that officials at your school are your advocates, and they want to see you do well. everyone runs into problems, but it's how we deal with them that differentiates us. by the looks of things, you clearly rose above it all and came out fightin' strong. :luck:

you'll do great dude. keep positive. :D

Reactions: 1 user