How does a SMP influence GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PNWDOCTOR1221

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in the spring of 2017 with my bachelor's and the below stats:
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 2.88
MCAT 508 (127,126,127,128)

This cycle I received 2 interviews and was waitlisted at 2 DO schools. I am most likely going to start an SMP in the fall. How will an SMP influence my sGPA? Will schools see a new overall science GPA or will they see an undergrad and then a separate masters science GPA? I am worried that if I do the SMP and ace it then I will still be filtered out at most DO schools.

Also, do you guys think that I am a good candidate for an SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

They will hopefully see a vast improvement in ur new sGPA compared to your undergrad one... keep in mind that for SMP's, the med schools aren't looking for an above 3.0 GPA, they want to see 3.6+ GPA becuase it reflects how you will do in their medical school classes

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly this could go two ways.
You are a good candidate for SMPs and if you do well you'd have a shot at pretty much any DO and state MDs, if you get a higher MCAT, more MDs.
or
You could do a 1 year DIY-Postbacc to get the sGPA over 3.0 and reapply DO. The second route is less risky and cheaper but won't make you as competitive.

The fact that you managed to snag two interviews with a below 3.0 sGPA is impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are a good candidate for SMPs and if you do well you'd have a shot at pretty much any DO and state MDs, if you get a higher MCAT, more MDs.
or
You could do a 1 year DIY-Postbacc to get the sGPA over 3.0 and reapply DO. The second route is less risky and cheaper but won't make you as competitive.

The fact that you managed to snag two interviews with a below 3.0 sGPA is impressive.
I second this actually - a cheap DIY to get a sGPA above 3.0 with ur good MCAT score... you'll get into SOME DO school (MD is a no-go IMO)

or

Thanks for the feedback! This is essentially what I was hoping to hear. I just don't want to waste my money on an smp if my subpar undergrad sGPA is going to still hold me back anyway.

Also, do you think an smp will give me a better shot at acceptance to a us med school than a DIY postbacc? I've considered that option but I wasn't sure that I would be a much better if an applicant with only a 3.0 sGPA and same MCAT. I would hate to waste a year on my DIY postbacc and then just end up on waitlists again...

SMP's are high risk, high reward, if you do poorly you are pretty much circling the drain as schools see it as a reflection in how you would do in actual medical school courses.

I graduated in the spring of 2017 with my bachelor's and the below stats:
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 2.88
MCAT 508 (127,126,127,128)

This cycle I received 2 interviews and was waitlisted at 2 DO schools. I am most likely going to start an SMP in the fall. How will an SMP influence my sGPA? Will schools see a new overall science GPA or will they see an undergrad and then a separate masters science GPA? I am worried that if I do the SMP and ace it then I will still be filtered out at most DO schools.

Also, do you guys think that I am a good candidate for an SMP?
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

On the AACOMAS app, we see your year by year GPAs. The sum of them is also given. The whole point of the SMP is to prove that the you of now is not the you of then, and thus, the cGPA and sGPA don't matter anymore, just what you've done recently.

Thanks for the feedback! This is essentially what I was hoping to hear. I just don't want to waste my money on an smp if my subpar undergrad sGPA is going to still hold me back anyway.

Also, do you think an smp will give me a better shot at acceptance to a us med school than a DIY postbacc? I've considered that option but I wasn't sure that I would be a much better if an applicant with only a 3.0 sGPA and same MCAT. I would hate to waste a year on my DIY postbacc and then just end up on waitlists again...
Ur MCAT is top end for DO schools so if you can get it to 3.0+ then you'll get in somewhere. A 3.2+ and you'd be gold, but since they changed the rules about grade replacement lasy year for D.O.'s I don't think it's likely that you can make that happen.

DIY is the move. If that doesn't work, then SMP last option - which you should crush after a year of DIY post bacc studying/classes.
Whatever you do, don't retake MCAT and don't give up.

Good luck my friend.

Reactions: 1 users
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

On the AACOMAS app, we see your year by year GPAs. The sum of them is also given. The whole point of the SMP is to prove that the you of now is not the you of then, and thus, the cGPA and sGPA don't matter anymore, just what you've done recently.

Thanks for the insights! I really appreciate the help. The reinvention post was especially awesome. That was pretty much everything I needed to know.

Now I just need to start the marathon, reinvent myself and make it in to med school! (And then go through 7 more years of school after that...)