How does a spotty transcript affect admissions decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notrack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Sorry for long post or for violating any thread rules--newbie] I recently graduated from a top public university in California with a degree in political science; I transferred to this university from a California community college. When I started community college in 2009, my intention was to go to medical school but that route changed because I simply could not get the required science courses and my financial aid at the CC level was about to run out. I switched to political science with the hope of leveraging the degree towards consulting, finance, or law (and i really enjoyed my major). However, after spending the last three months interning for a consulting company, I have realized its not something I want to devote my life to.

I want to take the science prerequisites through UCLA extension's premedical certificate program [UCLA provides financial aid via loans] and apply primarily to DO programs. But before I start this process, I want to know how certain aspects of my transcript might affect adcom's perception of me:
1)Why Political Science and not a "Hard" Science
2) 3 W's due to work and transportation issues
3) 1 D in a math course
4) 2 C's (non-science/math courses)
5) 1 year where I was not a full-time student (scheduling issues), 1 semester where I was a half-time student, and a semester where I did not take any classes--a gap.

Despite these setbacks I was able to maintain a gpa at the community college level of 3.5 and a UC gpa of 3.615. Throughout my undergradaute career, I put in as much effort as I could given work and commute constraints (in some cases, I lost 6 hours a day during a 10 week quarter). I have over 80 hours of hospital volunteering and some extracurricular activities. If I maintain a 3.5-3.65 overall gpa/3.5 science gpa/30-35 MCAT, do you think I stand a good shot at a DO program? What about MD programs? How would the mentioned "red flags" affect my application?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Irrelevant. We don't care about majors or minors, only that you do well.

But before I start this process, I want to know how certain aspects of my transcript might affect adcom's perception of me:
1)Why Political Science and not a "Hard" Science

Probably won't be a problem, but does raise judgment issues.
2) 3 W's due to work and transportation issues

Retake all F/D/C science coursework and let AACOMAS' grade replacement policy do it's work.
3) 1 D in a math course
4) 2 C's (non-science/math courses)

As long as you do well in your post-bac coursework, this will not matter.
5) 1 year where I was not a full-time student (scheduling issues), 1 semester where I was a half-time student, and a semester where I did not take any classes--a gap.

Despite these setbacks I was able to maintain a gpa at the community college level of 3.5 and a UC gpa of 3.615. Throughout my undergradaute career, I put in as much effort as I could given work and commute constraints (in some cases, I lost 6 hours a day during a 10 week quarter). I have over 80 hours of hospital volunteering and some extracurricular activities. If I maintain a 3.5-3.65 overall gpa/3.5 science gpa/30-35 MCAT, do you think I stand a good shot at a DO program? What about MD programs? How would the mentioned "red flags" affect my application?

Thanks for any advice![/QUOTE]