How does AMCAS round GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is gonna sound really stupid, but if you have a 3.496, does it round to 3.50? This is my situation.

Just out of curiosity sakes, if you had 3.9971 GPA, does that round to 4.00?

Members don't see this ad.

PittMedicine said:
This is gonna sound really stupid, but if you have a 3.496, does it round to 3.50? This is my situation.

AMCAS is going to calculate your GPA based on its own formula anyway – so it wont necessarily be identical to your undergrad GPA (I actually think mine went up a few tenths of a point, but it was so long ago). But I am unsure of their rounding policy.

PittMedicine said:

Yes, that does sound really stupid. No med school is going to care if you had a 3.99 versus a 4.00. Nor should you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Law2Doc, read the post in its entirety before you respond and sound both like an idiot and a jack@ss. Just being a jack@ss is fine. He was asking about HIS gpa of 3.496

Anywho, kenmc3 is right, AMCAS has its own formula for you to calculate your gpa. Mine went up a tenth of a point or two as well.

reck1ess said:
Hey Law2Doc, read the post in its entirety before you respond and sound both like an idiot and a jack@ss. Just being a jack@ss is fine. He was asking about HIS gpa of 3.496

Anywho, kenmc3 is right, AMCAS has its own formula for you to calculate your gpa. Mine went up a tenth of a point or two as well.

I read it and still don't think it makes any difference to med schools. Few if any schools use a 3.5 cutoff and certainly wouldn't begrudge a 3.496. It's just a joke, I suspect. But thanks for the insult.

Law2Doc said:
I read it and still don't think it makes any difference to med schools. Few if any schools use a 3.5 cutoff and certainly wouldn't begrudge a 3.496. It's just a joke, I suspect. But thanks for the insult.
Yea, your response was a ******* response.

i like the words "*******" "stfu" and "wtf"

they are classics

Amcas rounds to two decimal places, so assuming you calculate it exactly as amcas would, a 3.496 would be rounded to 3.50.

But Law2Doc is right. It doesn't matter in the least. How is that a "*******" response?

This thread will probably be hijacked with smileys anyway.

did your gpas really go up by a tenth of a point or two? did you guys mean a couple hundreths? i.e., 3.75 to 3.77 or 3.75 to 3.95....cuz that's quite the difference

NapeSpikes said:
Amcas rounds to two decimal places, so assuming you calculate it exactly as amcas would, a 3.496 would be rounded to 3.50.

But Law2Doc is right. It doesn't matter in the least. How is that a "*******" response?

I like this one that I found:

wtf.gif

NapeSpikes said:

Thank you! I've also been wondering about this because I have a 2.997 amcas science gpa and now I'm very happy to know it'll be rounded to a 3.00. I think that's a bit more of a significant boundary than 3.496/3.50... :p

*waits for TI-89, Jebus, and the smiley mafia to attack another PittMedicine (troll) thread*

7777777777777777777777777 4.00000000000000 :eek:

Now come on, is that what you will tell a patient who makes the most "stupid" question?

-"Doc, this may sound really stupid, but [insert "stupid" question]

-"Yes, that does sound really stupid. [Insert explanation of why question is stupid]"

Boy, you guys get irritated so easily. Your gonna make terrible doctors. Your patients are gonna ask a lot of what you call "stupid" questions. WHat are you gonna do? Make fun of them? Go fu-- yourselves.

PittMedicine said:
Boy, you guys get irritated so easily. Your gonna make terrible doctors. Your patients are gonna ask a lot of what you call "stupid" questions. WHat are you gonna do? Make fun of them? Go fu-- yourselves.
You're welcome. :rolleyes: