How Does an IM Residency Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone were interested in doing something like Endocrinology or Infectious Disease, do you match into IM and then specialize from there? Do you complete a full IM residency and then some more training in the specialty field, or do you complete an internship yr in IM, and then a few years of training in the specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

It's called a fellowship. You match into IM, then apply for whatever fellowship you want (GI, card, endo, etc) while you are in residency. Then, whenever you complete your IM residency, you start your fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably apropos of nothing but you know what the best thing about finally, after a false start, matching into the specialty I wanted?

The fact that I will never have to write another personal statement, beg for a job, and go to another interview as a supplicant desperate to be hired. The next time I look for a job I'll get my ass kissed for a change.

(Because think about it: You jumped through hoops to get into college, medical school, residency, and fellowship. It has to end eventually.)

Probably apropos of nothing but you know what the best thing about finally, after a false start, matching into the specialty I wanted?

The fact that I will never have to write another personal statement, beg for a job, and go to another interview as a supplicant desperate to be hired. The next time I look for a job I'll get my ass kissed for a change.

(Because think about it: You jumped through hoops to get into college, medical school, residency, and fellowship. It has to end eventually.)

For most of us this statement comes like a vision of an oasis in the desert. We may well succumb to the blistering heat and rattlesnake bites, or rip off a finger in an attempt to drink our own blood and curse the sand that soaks it up so greedily. But it's nice to know the oasis is not a mirage.

If someone were interested in doing something like Endocrinology or Infectious Disease, do you match into IM and then specialize from there? Do you complete a full IM residency and then some more training in the specialty field, or do you complete an internship yr in IM, and then a few years of training in the specialty?

It's called a fellowship. You match into IM, then apply for whatever fellowship you want (GI, card, endo, etc) while you are in residency. Then, whenever you complete your IM residency, you start your fellowship.

People who wish to be certified in a sub-specialty of Internal Medicine such as Infectious Disease, Rheumatology, Nephrology, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Critical Care/Pulmonology and Endocrinology will do three years of Internal Medicine Residency. During PGY-2, most people will start applying to fellowships and interviewing for these fellowships. After the completion of PGY-3, they will start fellowship if they have been fortunate enough to match into a fellowship. (Fellowship is another match process). As jaydoc07 said, "when you complete your IM residency, you can start your fellowship".

So I guess you're not thinking about a Peds ER fellowship? :D

People who wish to be certified in a sub-specialty of Internal Medicine such as Infectious Disease, Rheumatology, Nephrology, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Critical Care/Pulmonology and Endocrinology will do three years of Internal Medicine Residency. During PGY-2, most people will start applying to fellowships and interviewing for these fellowships. After the completion of PGY-3, they will start fellowship if they have been fortunate enough to match into a fellowship. (Fellowship is another match process). As jaydoc07 said, "when you complete your IM residency, you can start your fellowship".

:thumbup: Trudat.

I think that many fellowship programs also utilize the match system similar to residency programs.

Keep in mind that cardiology comes in a couple of varying flavors.