Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How Does an IM Residency Work?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by SeminoleFan3, Apr 13, 2007.

1. SeminoleFan3

SeminoleFan3 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    If someone were interested in doing something like Endocrinology or Infectious Disease, do you match into IM and then specialize from there? Do you complete a full IM residency and then some more training in the specialty field, or do you complete an internship yr in IM, and then a few years of training in the specialty?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jaydoc07

jaydoc07 Junior Member

Medical Student
    It's called a fellowship. You match into IM, then apply for whatever fellowship you want (GI, card, endo, etc) while you are in residency. Then, whenever you complete your IM residency, you start your fellowship.

4. 8744

8744 Guest

Non-Student
    Probably apropos of nothing but you know what the best thing about finally, after a false start, matching into the specialty I wanted?

The fact that I will never have to write another personal statement, beg for a job, and go to another interview as a supplicant desperate to be hired. The next time I look for a job I'll get my ass kissed for a change.

(Because think about it: You jumped through hoops to get into college, medical school, residency, and fellowship. It has to end eventually.)

5. Droopy Snoopy

Resident [Any Field]
    For most of us this statement comes like a vision of an oasis in the desert. We may well succumb to the blistering heat and rattlesnake bites, or rip off a finger in an attempt to drink our own blood and curse the sand that soaks it up so greedily. But it's nice to know the oasis is not a mirage.

6. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician

People who wish to be certified in a sub-specialty of Internal Medicine such as Infectious Disease, Rheumatology, Nephrology, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Critical Care/Pulmonology and Endocrinology will do three years of Internal Medicine Residency. During PGY-2, most people will start applying to fellowships and interviewing for these fellowships. After the completion of PGY-3, they will start fellowship if they have been fortunate enough to match into a fellowship. (Fellowship is another match process). As jaydoc07 said, "when you complete your IM residency, you can start your fellowship".

7. Tired

Tired Fading away

So I guess you're not thinking about a Peds ER fellowship? :D

8. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    :thumbup: Trudat.

I think that many fellowship programs also utilize the match system similar to residency programs.

Keep in mind that cardiology comes in a couple of varying flavors.

9. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    After reading his posts on peds, I'm going to guess that's a no.