How does an MMI work? (Interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

September24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got invited to an interview at Western. I was told that part of the interview is an MMI which involve scenarios. I decide to do a little bit of research and but I found it is something different than what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be "acting outl scenarios. However in videos, I found that the interviewee simplys talks to the interviewer about what he or she would do and not actually show it. My question is: do I have to act it out or do I talk about it?

Also, does anyone have examples scenarios of what the medical school may ask me. I don't mean to cheat and ask for the exact scenarios that western may ask but some examples would help.

Members don't see this ad.

There's no physical acting involved, but you may have to assume a role depending on the scenario. The scenario is usually posted outside of the interview room, you have a few minutes to read it and formulate an idea, then you walk into the room and talk to the interviewer regarding the matter. There are sometimes more unique situations they will put you in that involves collaborating with another student who is also interviewing while the interviewers watch.

Most Canadian medical schools use MMIs and have some good practice resources, so check em out. I suggest you grab a sibling or a friend and ask them to pick questions out of a hat, just so you'll have to come up with answers on the fly.

here is an example: https://www.medicine.usask.ca/pt/admission/Practice_MMI_QuestionsUofS.pdf

Oh okay. See I thought they would like have me assume the role of a physician and talk to a fake patient (some actor) and see how I react in an ethical scenario.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay. See I thought they would like have me assume the role of a physician and talk to a fake patient (some actor) and see how I react in an ethical scenario.

Yes that's exactly what you have to do! Reread what I said. I was just clarifying that there's no physical acting. You'll be seated, and it will be more 'pretending' than 'acting' if you get my gist.

Some situations you won't be assuming any roles, some you may be.

PNWU does MMI as well and I believe it's SP (standardized patient). Not so sure about the SP but I know there is MMI there.

Marian does as well, I believe.

Reactions: 1 users
SOMA also does a partial MMI: "The format consists of a closed file interview with one or more faculty members, an open file review with one faculty or staff member, and a multiple mini interview segment with standardized cases."

Marian does as well, I believe.

I had done an MMI at MUCOM. You have stations with different scenarios and you have to explain how you would handle each one.

Is it tough? stressful? challenging? fun? I have my interview at MUCOM next week.

I felt a combination of those aspects. I remember trying to trouble shoot all the possibilities of how to solve the situation. It did feel tough but at the same time I loved it. I have been a problem solver at heart and really like seeing how I could tackle each dilemma. The people on the interview trail had just as much fun if not more than myself. There was one station that felt like a stress interview, but all the others where okay.

I really loved the campus and facilities, they were really top notch. Good luck!

Last edited:
I felt a combination of those aspects. I remember trying to trouble shoot all the possibilities of how to solve the situation. It did feel though but at the same time I loved it. I have been a problem solver at heart and really like seeing how I could tackle each dilemma. The people on the interview trail had just as much fun if not more than myself. There was one station that felt like a stress interview, but all the others where okay.

I really loved the campus and facilities, they were really top notch. Good luck!
I figure there is not too much I can do to prepare but just go with my gut. You agree or did you do anything that you felt helped you out for it?

I figure there is not too much I can do to prepare but just go with my gut. You agree or did you do anything that you felt helped you out for it?

Actually what I suggest is to google MMIs and try to see if there are example scenarios that you can do. Don't try to memorize the scenario or the right answer because your MUCOM MMI scenarios will be something you have never seen before. Treat these example scenarios like the MCAT, where you are handling a new passage or new scenario. The whole point is too see how you would approach a new situation . Give yourself 1-2 minutes to read the scenario and then 6-8 minutes to answer it. You want to be able to assess the different sides of the issue and then give an answer.

If it is any consolation, at one of the stations, one interviewer said I had the best answer he had seen so far (he had seen 12 people). So I definitely think it helped me.

Actually what I suggest is to google MMIs and try to see if there are example scenarios that you can do. Don't try to memorize the scenario or the right answer because your MUCOM MMI scenarios will be something you have never seen before. Treat these example scenarios like the MCAT, where you are handling a new passage or new scenario. The whole point is too see how you would approach a new situation . Give yourself 1-2 minutes to read the scenario and then 6-8 minutes to answer it. You want to be able to assess the different sides of the issue and then give an answer.

If it is any consolation, at one of the stations, one interviewer said I had the best answer he had seen so far (he had seen 12 people). So I definitely think it helped me.
Cool, thats about what I was figuring I would do. Thanks a bunch.

MMI at WVSOM too, just got their interview day itinerary, 2 MMIs

Reactions: 1 user
Bumpsies! have an interview at a program that uses MMI as well! Any additional tips would be great!

Bumpsies! have an interview at a program that uses MMI as well! Any additional tips would be great!

Just follow what has been stated above. It should work out well. The MU-COM works like a discussion of what you would do in the situation presented (3rd person). The WVSOM works as if you are speaking to an actor and you are in the situation yourself (1st person). Both were interesting.

I found the MUCOM MMI to be a lot of fun actually. Echoing previous sentiments: take the time to gather your thoughts and set your position for the scenario, answer accordingly.