How does applying to a backup specialty work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace_inhibitor111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given that most ortho candidates need like 3-4 sub-Is now, how does applying to a backup specialty work? Won’t it be extremely obvious that the other specialty is a backup. I mean sure, I can say that I changed my mind 1 day before ERAS opens but it doesn’t seem like any good programs would really buy that excuse, and anyway I’m presuming good programs want to see their own subIs and good LORs. Anyone who has experience applying want to help? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Given that most ortho candidates need like 3-4 sub-Is now, how does applying to a backup specialty work? Won’t it be extremely obvious that the other specialty is a backup. I mean sure, I can say that I changed my mind 1 day before ERAS opens but it doesn’t seem like any good programs would really buy that excuse, and anyway I’m presuming good programs want to see their own subIs and good LORs. Anyone who has experience applying want to help? Thanks!

I did backup general surgery. I had a completely separate set of LORs. I also did at least one elective surgery rotation in 4th year.

Reactions: 5 users

I applied to general surg when I re applied to ortho after scrambling. You can send specific surgery letters and a surgery specific PS. But Yes it’s going to look obvious on your application since away rotations and research can be seen. Just have a good reason for wanting to go into general surgery when you interview and write your personal statement. And don’t lie.

I mean you’re applying to ortho, so I’m assuming you’re a strong enough candidate to garner interview invites for GS regardless.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied vascular and general surgery In addition to ortho after not matching ortho last year. I got plenty of interviews this year just by having multiple sets of letters and a specialty specific PS. My letters came from my TY program and the end of 4th year.

I’m a DO who is a TY and I still had more interviews than I could go to for general and vascular and I didn’t do a sub-I in either of those.

Still praying I match ortho this year

Reactions: 4 users