How Does Interfolio Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkDorian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could explain how Interfolio works. I was planning on using it and just wanted to know how my referees would upload their letters and how the schools would receive them. Also, do you guys know if there is some sort of tutorial available online?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Talk to your letter writers and set up cover letters
2) Have them write and upload LORs
3) ???
4) Profit

Open a letter request for each letter that you want stored. Opening a request gives your letter writer two options: Interfolio sends them an e-mail with directions on how to scan and e-mail the letter , or print off a paper from Interfolio that gives instructions on how to mail a hard copy.

If you're applying to MD schools, AMCAS has their own letter service. Use Interfolio to send all of your letters at once to AMCAS, and then send whichever letter to whichever school through AMCAS.

If you're applying to DO schools, AACOMAS does not have their own letter service. You have to submit your letter or letter packet through Interfolio to each individual school you've applied to. It's kind of an annoying pain in the ass, especially when you have to pay $6 or $7 for each transmission.

Letter transmissions can be electronic or hard copy, depending on the school. I think I sent all of mine as hard copies -- less chance of complications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
I won't be an ass and post the LMGTFY link because you seem sincere, but I literally just googled "how does interfolio work" and got these as the first two hits. Also, who has a name like "Maxwell Swagler"?!

http://help.interfolio.com/entries/24062192-Requesting-Letters-of-Recommendation-Through-Interfolio-

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147760/amcas_2010_faqs-17.9.html

I think that's why they used it, because literally no one would ever name their kid Maxwell Swagler :p