How Does It Work: Early Start MD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaya12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just Curious: One of my State schools has an early start for the regular M.D. program (end of May).... Does anyone know how it works if you are accepted to an early program and waitlisted at other schools? Do you have to accept and go to the early start program before waitlist offers come in?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have experience with early start programs. However, once you matriculate at one school you can no longer be accepted by other schools. So, I'm guessing that once you start school at the end of May, you will not get pulled off the waitlist at any other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
very interesting...out of curiosity, which school is this?

It's Florida State University :), and I believe one of the only early start programs..? It's confusing, because I love the school and am not sure how the whole waitlist/accepted/ etc. process works w/ classes that start May 29... hmmm

My school starts early too, the first week of July. Like silverhorse84 said, once you matriculate at any med school, you can't withdraw and go somewhere else anymore. So if FSU starts on May 29, then as soon as you show up for orientation on May 29, you are now officially an FSU student. I assume you're asking this question because right now FSU is your only acceptance and you're waitlisted at a bunch of other places. If the end of May comes, and FSU is still the only school you're accepted to, you should go to FSU and withdraw from all of your waitlists. Otherwise, you run the risk of not starting med school this year at all. That would totally suck, especially because you said you loved the school. Good luck!

My school starts early too, the first week of July. Like silverhorse84 said, once you matriculate at any med school, you can't withdraw and go somewhere else anymore. So if FSU starts on May 29, then as soon as you show up for orientation on May 29, you are now officially an FSU student. I assume you're asking this question because right now FSU is your only acceptance and you're waitlisted at a bunch of other places. If the end of May comes, and FSU is still the only school you're accepted to, you should go to FSU and withdraw from all of your waitlists. Otherwise, you run the risk of not starting med school this year at all. That would totally suck, especially because you said you loved the school. Good luck!

Good Advice.. Thanks! :)

I'll be attending FSU this May and if you decide to come here then hit up the class thread and join the FB group. I went to FSU for undergrad and I love it here! BTW orientation starts May 26th.