How does my service look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038508

Hey everyone! I was wondering what you guys think of my service hours/experiences for the coming AMCAS cycle, and if I should try to get some more experiences/other this coming summer to update schools with. I'm a re-applicant so I really want to get things right this time.

Total: Roughly 450 hours. I know it isn't much (since many of you seem to have upwards of about a thousand hours or more), but it also isn't a little either, is it? Below is a short description of each.

1. Hospital Elder Life Program (~100 hours last summer): did rounds to patients, evaluated vision/hearing/mental function, taught physical therapy exercises, assisted w/ eating
  2. Surgical Center Volunteering (~75 hours last summer): changing linens, wiping beds/chairs down, cleaning blood pressure cuffs/IV drip equipment, retrieving patients' belongings post-op, bringing family members to their loved ones after surgeries
  3. Alzheimer's Nursing Home Volunteering (~100 hours from 2019, projected to Summer 2021, 1 hour a week): visiting a nursing home with patients who have Alzheimer's Disease/dementia to provide company/social engagement for patients
  4. Ronald McDonald House front desk volunteer (~100 hours projected from Summer 2020-Summer 2021): front desk volunteer, I'll be assisting with numerous operations such as checking families in, giving families tours of the house, taking calls, managing donations, playing with kids, etc.
  5. Neuroscience tutoring program (45 hours)
  6. Hunger and homelessness committee board freshman year (30 hours)
I'm considering doing more of the first 2 activities this summer to boost things a bit, and updating schools later. I also have several thousand hours of research experience and anticipate a couple co-publications/strong LOR, so do you think that may offset my service hours a bit? I'm aiming for T1/2 schools because I do have high stats and strong recs, but I do recognize that things come down to far more than just stats/recs. Thanks so much and apologies for the thick post!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
From December 2017:
(suboptimal, decent, exceptional)
1. clinical hours (work or volunteer): 99, 150, 1,000+ (employment)
2. non-clinical volunteering hours: 99, 150, 1,000+ (full-time gap year)
3. shadowing hours: 8, 40, 80

Reactions: 1 user