The average medical student isn’t poor. Even the ones that claim to be poor usually aren’t poor. Had a good friend who was complaining about money being tight, blah blah blah... went over to her house to say hi before I moved for rotations (she was local) and her house was multiple stories with one three-car garage and a two-car garage on the other side, with a driveway with a central fountain, a fancy foyer with marble flooring and columns and dual staircases, and a large pool with jacuzzi in the back with water views.
I believe no one when they tell me they’re poor now. One of my other “poor” friends was mad that her parents sold the local family vacation home for half a mil+ and didn’t just keep it for her to hang out in on the weekends.
I respect people that are just straight up “I live well” because at least they realize what they have LOL