How does Optometry school feel about work experience in place of volunteering / shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Harrison11011

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard it is important to volunteer and shadow doctors for your application, but I have made the choice to work as an optometric technician instead. I run OCT scans as well as take threshold visual fields for almost 2 years now; Furthermore, I also teach patients with keratoconus how to insert their scleral lenses as well as take pach scans on them for the doctors to determine which one is a good fit. I have around ( 3,200 +/-) hours clocked in so far. I have shadowed both of the doctors I work for (they would let me sit in and watch on the clock but is not a significant number (+/- 2 hours total). I have decided to work because I do not want to take loans for my undergrad degree, so far I am a soon-to-be junior with $0.00 dollars in student debt. I expect to graduate in the ballpark of a (3.2-3.4) GPA if all goes well and I am unsure how to benchmark my overall chances of getting into a school. The doctor I work for has a relationship with UCHO (he graduated there) and regularly refers patients in need of surgery to their ophthalmologists. Does this fact have any influence on his letter of recommendation to me? I am probably overthinking but I know that once I send my application I will just be a number and I am very sure all optometry schools are flooded with great applicants.
 
Work experience, I think, really helps. It shows dedication and experience in the field.