How does repeating a year or semester work in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PirellitTyres

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed every course/exam this semester, so it looks likely I will be repeating a year as I'm not eligible for remediation over the summer (and it might be hard to remediate every course over the summer). I'm an M1 by the way. If I pass every course next semester, will I just repeat half the year (one semester) or will I basically become an M1 again next year?

I'm hoping I"ll be able to repeat and not face dismissal after one semester.

Members don't see this ad.

May I ask how that happened? If something personal, more than reasonable to not delve into it, but just really curious how that came about.

EDIT: Just saw your double post in the MD threads - would take all of the advice there re the mental health and other steps to prioritize before worrying about starting another semester. If you’re struggling this bad first year, first semester, I can’t imagine how difficult it will get in the spring and beyond when we start to do bridges and clerkships. Best of luck to you..

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
This is school specific, I would read your handbook carefully and ask your academic Dean these questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually, if the school decides it is time for you to repeat a year, you're done with that year, and you start over next year.

Reactions: 1 user
I failed every course/exam this semester, so it looks likely I will be repeating a year as I'm not eligible for remediation over the summer (and it might be hard to remediate every course over the summer). I'm an M1 by the way. If I pass every course next semester, will I just repeat half the year (one semester) or will I basically become an M1 again next year?

I'm hoping I"ll be able to repeat and not face dismissal after one semester.
You'll have to check your school's student handbook about this.

At my school, due to knowledge Decay, you would have to repeat every course you took.

In addition the stakes may be higher for you as a returning student. You may have to cast all your courses with say an 80% or higher, zor, say, not fail any exam again in those courses.