Step I how does SNRI and anti-epileptics cause hyponatremia?

Started by osprey099
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

osprey099

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got a question wrong where I had to realize that hyponatremia can be induced by venlafaxine (SNRI) and gabapentin (anti-epileptic). The explanation didn't say the mechanism behind it. Does anyone here know? Nothing really shows up online.
 
I just got a question wrong where I had to realize that hyponatremia can be induced by venlafaxine (SNRI) and gabapentin (anti-epileptic). The explanation didn't say the mechanism behind it. Does anyone here know? Nothing really shows up online.

My speculation would have to do with serotonin's effect on GI cells. Possibly diarrhea induced hyponatremia? That seems like a stretch to me but maybe someone can confirm.