How does Step 1 affect fellowship chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway271172

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is ridiculous, but please bear with me.

I scored a 205 on my Step 1, BUT still got into a consensus top-20 residency based on other factors:
- AOA at top 10 medical school
- 260 on step 2
- 5 first-author papers (basic science x2 in UG, case series x3 in MS; not related to any potential fellowship) and a dozen or so basic science abstracts at national conferences.

The 205 on my Step 1 affected my residency admission; had I scored higher, per my school's program director, I likely would have gotten in somewhere even better (NOT complaining: I love where I am going and ranked it above my home institution). But it was not an insurmountable issue, although I suspect if I weren't at a "top 10" medical school it would have been.

My question is: does Step 1 matter at all for fellowships? If so, how much do I have to compensate for the Step 1 score when it comes to fellowship applications? Does the rest of my application still have to be significantly better to make up for it? Am I automatically out of contention for the top (e.g. Cards at UCLA) or top of the top (e.g. Cards at MGH) again? I presume that I am still in contention for a Cards fellowship at a mid- or low-tier location.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is ridiculous
For the past few months our discussions in these forums have become mostly superficial , boring and irrelevant
Pretty sure there are plenty of post answering things like this before as everyone post the same questions over and over

No, this is NOT ridiculous.

But good news, OP. With your AOA at a Top 10 medical school, no one would or should care about the Step 1. Anyone that bases a decision on hiring you on a test score from 5 years earlier when you clearly more than compensated for it is a tool, and you should be happy that you don't have to work with them.

Fellowship = Brand name of your residency + Your LOR's + Research + How Much they like you
Secondary: Brand name of your medical school +/- AOA during medical school +/- other special crap that no one has/does

Bottom line = you're fine.

Reactions: 1 users
You may get screened out of several fellowship programs who have 220 cut offs but with that background a nice explanatory email to the PD/PC may overcome that