How does the ESIR path work in reality? What programs are best for an applicant considering ESIR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted674723

I am a medical student who is undecided on DR/IR. Based on advice from this forum, many mentors and current resident, I decided to apply DR because I enjoy reading and am about 50/50 on wanting to do IR. However, I made this choice with the intention to thoroughly explore IR in residency and keep that option open through applying to programs with strong ESIR tracks. Now that I am going through programs trying to decide where to apply, I am finding it difficult to understand how the ESIR tracks work in each of the programs. In my home program, residents can choose to become ESIR in their second year and there are always ways to swap back and forth between DR/IR as the program is relatively large. I am hoping someone can inform me how ESIR tracks work in general at more medium sized programs. Many programs have 7-9 DR residents and 2 integrated IR residents... and no information on ESIR. There are also programs like Baylor that have the option to apply directly into ESIR. All of this is a bit unclear. If any current residents or anyone with insight can let me know how a DR resident explores ESIR and which programs I should apply to if that is a goal of mine, I would be IMMENSELY grateful. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your best bet is to find programs that have the highest ratio of ESIR spots to DR class size possible, AND that have an Independent IR residency program.

There is no good resource that I know of that breaks that out for all programs (would be good to know though)

The best I know of is Mayo AZ. 4 DR residents per year, 2 of which can go to ESIR--AND, they prioritize internal candidates for their independent IR residency, of which they have 2 spots/year. As far as I know, every DR resident who has been there that has wanted to do ESIR has done ESIR.

Mayo AZ DR website

Here's a video about the program that they have for applicants. Talks about ESIR and IR about halfway through.

Overview of Mayo AZ

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, informed PD who loaded video outside firewall. They are going to send to people who apply this year.

I corrected the link. Should be fixed now.

Overview of Mayo AZ

Last edited: