How does the level of competition and ease of medical school compare between a true P/F school vs. one with internal ranking and AOA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1130967

How does the level of competition and ease of medical school compare between a true P/F school/no internal ranking/no AOA vs. one that is P/F/but has internal ranking/and AOA? For the preclinical years? Is it night and day in terms of how much you have to study and focus on school vs. time spent on other EC activities or one’s personal life?

Members don't see this ad.

My school is true P/F during pre-clinical and clinical years, and H/HP/P/F during advanced clinical electives. No AOA, rankings, etc. It has essentially made competition non-existent since someone scoring a 75 vs 100 are both going to have a P on their transcript. School is still stressful, but it is nice not having to worry about AOA, secret rankings, knowing every random detail of enzymatic pathways, etc. It really helps your mental health, I couldn't imagine having to fight for grades, AOA, or rankings.

My school is true P/F during preclinical and H/HP/P/F during clinical years. We do have AOA for which clinical year rankings are used. As somebody attending a very mid-tier school, I do like that there is some form of ranking and AOA so that students are able to differentiate themselves. However, preclinical is suuuper chill. It's definitely night and day in terms of how much free time you have. I honestly believe you can study for a test to get a 75 in 1/3 the time it would take for you to get a 95.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school is true P/F during preclinical and H/HP/P/F during clinical years. We do have AOA for which clinical year rankings are used. As somebody attending a very mid-tier school, I do like that there is some form of ranking and AOA so that students are able to differentiate themselves. However, preclinical is suuuper chill. It's definitely night and day in terms of how much free time you have. I honestly believe you can study for a test to get a 75 in 1/3 the time it would take for you to get a 95.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I have a similar dilemma. The school with H/HP/P/F (in pre-clinical) is 200k cheaper over 4 yrs than the one with P/F (pre-clinical). Clinical grading is the same at both places & the match lists are comparable. Is P/F in pre-clinical worth an extra 200k?

I have a similar dilemma. The school with H/HP/P/F (in pre-clinical) is 200k cheaper over 4 yrs than the one with P/F (pre-clinical). Clinical grading is the same at both places & the match lists are comparable. Is P/F in pre-clinical worth an extra 200k?
Only you can answer this question. At the end of the day, your pre-clinical grades aren't going to matter that much - residencies care more about clinical grades and performance. Also, since Step 1 is now P/F, they will emphasize Step 2 CK more, which is more clinical.

Save the $200k if they have similar match lists. If this was Yale ($200k more expensive) vs full ride at state/low-tier school I'd say take yale. But if they're similar caliber take the cheaper one.

My school is true P/F with AOA (attainable by anyone and not a popularity contest). I love it. I have my lazy days and It feels so good knowing I don't have to stress endlessly if I skip a lecture here and there and a 75 takes me 1/5th the time I would need to study for a 95. Both appear as "P" on the transcript.

Save the $200k and buy yourself a $300 dinner (not kidding) after each exam. Book a first class trip, go snorkeling in the maldives, splurge here and here on delivery, cleaning services, etc.

Save the $200k if they have similar match lists. If this was Yale ($200k more expensive) vs full ride at state/low-tier school I'd say take yale. But if they're similar caliber take the cheaper one.
I wouldn't look only at the match list. The match list is really what individuals make of it and historical match is no predictor of future match, especially in small, competitive fields where not that many apply each year. Even having 10 years of data is hard to predict with any certainty where one would fall.