how does the residency for a radiation oncologist work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ames980

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello! i ran a search for this but have thus far come up emptyhanded, and wanted to check in and see if any of you were familiar with this...

if you plan on going into a "specialized specialty" -- peds onc, rads onc, etc - how does the residency work? do you do your im, then fellowship in oncology, then another res. in radiology? or is it radiology first and just a fellowship in onc? or am i totally off all together? thanks for any info and insight! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You're a little mixed up. Here's some info:

Medical Oncology or Pediatric Oncology: Fellowships after finishing a medicine or pediatric residency. You have to apply during residency to oncology programs. You deal with the medical management of cancer: chemo, pain management, palliative care, etc.

Radiation oncology: Separate residency. Apply during medical school. I believe most do an internship year (medicine, transitional year) first, then 4 more years of residency. They focus on the radiation therapy of cancer. No chemo. You can apply to rad onc after a medicine residency, but it is very competitive and most do not go this route.

Radiology: Completely separate field that deals with diagnosis using imaging, i.e x-rays, CT, MRI, etc. 1 year internship followed by 4 years of residency.

Hope that clears it up.

so mixed up! thank you for the info!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious...how competitive is it to get a medical onc fellowship after your IM/peds residency?

Whisker Barrel Cortex said:
You're a little mixed up. Here's some info:

Medical Oncology or Pediatric Oncology: Fellowships after finishing a medicine or pediatric residency. You have to apply during residency to oncology programs. You deal with the medical management of cancer: chemo, pain management, palliative care, etc.

Radiation oncology: Separate residency. Apply during medical school. I believe most do an internship year (medicine, transitional year) first, then 4 more years of residency. They focus on the radiation therapy of cancer. No chemo. You can apply to rad onc after a medicine residency, but it is very competitive and most do not go this route.

Radiology: Completely separate field that deals with diagnosis using imaging, i.e x-rays, CT, MRI, etc. 1 year internship followed by 4 years of residency.

Hope that clears it up.

calesiler1 said:
I'm curious...how competitive is it to get a medical onc fellowship after your IM/peds residency?

it'll be extremely extremely competitive.
rad onc is perhaps the most difficult specialty as there're only about 100 spots in the nation. it pays really well. best life style; work aroudn 30-45 hrs / wk! ur tx suprisingly to many, perhaps, will work well. u r not around radiation, contrary to popular belief, as it's the technicians that get near it. u r the mastermind of the whole rad onc tx team; u think, u make/adjust plans, and order others to follow them.

whorubigman said:
it'll be extremely extremely competitive.
rad onc is perhaps the most difficult specialty as there're only about 100 spots in the nation. it pays really well. best life style; work aroudn 30-45 hrs / wk! ur tx suprisingly to many, perhaps, will work well. u r not around radiation, contrary to popular belief, as it's the technicians that get near it. u r the mastermind of the whole rad onc tx team; u think, u make/adjust plans, and order others to follow them.

No I don't think you answered his question.

Hem/Onc fellowships should be below Cardiology & Gastrointestinal in competitiveness, but higher than the others.