How does the whole moving process work UoP students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prestone346

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be attending Pacific this July and I have a few questions. I spoke with someone from the financial aid department who answered most my questions, but I still have a few for any willing students.
My wife and son are planning on living in San Francisco starting June 1st. We plan on finding a two bedroom apartment somewhere as close to school as possible. This is going to make my rent anywhere from 2 to 3 thousand dollars. So my question is, is it easy to get the estimated cost of attendance adjusted?
Do only government backed loans like stafford sub/unsub and graduate plus loans use the school's estimated cost of attendance?
Financial aid told me that the estimated cost of living right now is around 19 thousand for nine months, but with a wife and kid, and higher rent this obviously won't cover us. Is it difficult to get these estimates adjusted for students in my situation?
I'd really appreciate any information from any of you out there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In short, yes. They can be adjusted on a "as absolutely needed basis" to meet your specific needs. I bet they can run some numbers for you if you ask. They might ask for a copy of your lease or something, to justify your increased living expenses.

As long as the school certifies your adjusted amount, GradPlus should pick up the difference (there is an annual/9 month cap for the amount of Stafford loans you can take out).

You might want to wait until the end of April when they announce who will get into campus housing. Hopefully you filled out the housing application for the Presidio. I think they reserve some some presidio apartmetns for married students. I'm not 100%, so I woul check with UoP.

Also, if worst comes to worst, I'm sure you could get a private loan of some sort from a bank, but again, like the previous poster said, they should be able to adjust your adjusted cost of living for loans. gl:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck Preston! I am coming in this year with my wife (no kid) and hope to move in around June also. Cost of housing is a challenge for us too. The immediate neighborhood (Pac and L. Pac) around school is quite prohibitive. I think West Addition, Civic Center, Nub Hill may offer some choices for your family too. Hope things work out!

Its a little comforting to know I'm not the only one in the same situation (although we already have one kid and another on the way!). We're really hoping for a 2 or 3 br in presidio, but if that doesnt work out I hear there are a few couples that live just north of the golden gate bridge and carpool in together everyday. Rent is a little cheaper so that would be nice if you can handle the extra commute time everyday. These are just my 2 cents since I havent actually lived in San Fran yet! Good luck to you guys, Ill see you in July!