How does this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioman1275

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So ending the semester out of my 5 classes (calculus, chemistry 2, Gen Micro, Latin, Argumentation) I am finishing with all A's and a B- or C+ in gen micro. I have a high gpa, around a 3.68, so its not going to be super detrimental but how will this look to medical schools? The final was 100 questions counted twice and extremely in-depth (ranging from bacterial genetics to immunology to introductory virology). I didn't perform as needed as I had my chem, calculus and micro finals one day after the other, so it is putting me at a 79.9 and im not sure if he is the kind to round up (he took 5 points off everyone's exam in lab for using basic instead of alkaline on a question).

I also feel as if had I taken genetics ( which is a pre req for all upper level bio courses except micro) I would have know about a lot of things he covered in the first test instead of having to learn them from scratch. Another problem I had with the professor is that he would teach material that in his words "You need to know this for the exam" then he would spend 20-25 minutes teaching it in depth, so I would spend time studying it, then nothing about that would be on the exam...So basically I wasted time I could have used studying the actual material to study stuff that wasn't on the exam. he did this multiple times, and other students have complained about this also.

If I don't make a B- im not retaking it, I don't want to deal with him, his finicky grading, and vague lectures again. im always an A/A- student in science, and my grades reflect that. So I guess what im getting at is would I be able to explain and rationalize this during an interview? it is clearly an anomaly on my transcript and does not follow a trend in my grades.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Chill, kiddo. A couple of sporadic bad grades are just not that big a deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! You are Waaaay too stressed for absolutely no reason. Step away from the pre-med paranoia and go out and do something fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) 3.68 is not a high GPA
2) Get over the fact that you are EARNING the grade you receive, it's not the prof's fault

Reactions: 1 users
1) 3.68 is not a high GPA
2) Get over the fact that you are EARNING the grade you receive, it's not the prof's fault
you go study 2-4 hours a day 2 1/2 weeks consistently up until the exam and make an 80. Its ridiculously frustrating when study habits that get you 90's on tests in all other science courses, then 10-15 points under that in his class

First world problems.

you go study 2-4 hours a day 2 1/2 weeks consistently up until the exam and make an 80. Its ridiculously frustrating when study habits that get you 90's on tests in all other science courses, then 10-15 points under that in his class

The same study habits may not work for all classes. I've had courses where I didn't study for the first test and scored higher than when I studied for the next test. Sometimes life is just funny like that and you will have "setbacks" or "frustrations". I think that the earlier you accept that you aren't perfect or the best or able to accomplish everything you want, the further you will go (unless you are William Hwang lol).

Who cares if you get an off-par grade?? It's not the end of the world! I've been much more successful and happy after beginning to not care about earning the highest grades in the class.

The same study habits may not work for all classes. I've had courses where I didn't study for the first test and scored higher than when I studied for the next test. Sometimes life is just funny like that and you will have "setbacks" or "frustrations". I think that the earlier you accept that you aren't perfect or the best or able to accomplish everything you want, the further you will go (unless you are William Hwang lol).

Who cares if you get an off-par grade?? It's not the end of the world! I've been much more successful and happy after beginning to not care about earning the highest grades in the class.
You guys are right. im stressing out way too much over this lol

2-4 hours a day? Yep, there's your problem. I had to average roughly 30-40 hours of studying a week to keep my GPA where it was. Studying was a full-time job on top of my damn-near full-time job.

2-4 hours a day? Yep, there's your problem. I had to average roughly 30-40 hours of studying a week to keep my GPA where it was. Studying was a full-time job on top of my damn-near full-time job.
that's for that one class. im not even factoring in the others. that between 20-30 a week for one class.

that's for that one class. im not even factoring in the others. that between 20-30 a week for one class.
But it sounds like you're not studying regularly- you said you study the 2.5 weeks up to the exam or whatever. I was putting in 30-40 hours a week, every week, all semester, every semester.

But it sounds like you're not studying regularly- you said you study the 2.5 weeks up to the exam or whatever. I was putting in 30-40 hours a week, every week, all semester, every semester.
im talking just reviewing, studying, prepping for the exam. I study the concepts as he goes over them. im consistent in studying throughout the semester

So ending the semester out of my 5 classes (calculus, chemistry 2, Gen Micro, Latin, Argumentation) I am finishing with all A's and a B- or C+ in gen micro. I have a high gpa, around a 3.68, so its not going to be super detrimental but how will this look to medical schools? The final was 100 questions counted twice and extremely in-depth (ranging from bacterial genetics to immunology to introductory virology). I didn't perform as needed as I had my chem, calculus and micro finals one day after the other, so it is putting me at a 79.9 and im not sure if he is the kind to round up (he took 5 points off everyone's exam in lab for using basic instead of alkaline on a question).

I also feel as if had I taken genetics ( which is a pre req for all upper level bio courses except micro) I would have know about a lot of things he covered in the first test instead of having to learn them from scratch. Another problem I had with the professor is that he would teach material that in his words "You need to know this for the exam" then he would spend 20-25 minutes teaching it in depth, so I would spend time studying it, then nothing about that would be on the exam...So basically I wasted time I could have used studying the actual material to study stuff that wasn't on the exam. he did this multiple times, and other students have complained about this also.

If I don't make a B- im not retaking it, I don't want to deal with him, his finicky grading, and vague lectures again. im always an A/A- student in science, and my grades reflect that. So I guess what im getting at is would I be able to explain and rationalize this during an interview? it is clearly an anomaly on my transcript and does not follow a trend in my grades.

Advice would be much appreciated.
I think you're fine man.

Just a note though: Yes a ~3.7 GPA is high, but that's like average on SDN, so don't let that get to you.

I think you're fine man.

Just a note though: Yes a ~3.7 GPA is high, but that's like average on SDN, so don't let that get to you.
Yeah, I know that. Im talking high for my university, the average there is between a 3.2-3.4

Lol anyhow don't let it get to you and just keep up the good work! :)