How does this other inpatient job sound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't speak to making into the upper six figs (800-1M) but I can say it's not seeming at all difficult to land a couple of jobs +/- PP and make into the 550-700k/year range. None of these combinations require more than 40ish hours a week either. I honestly don't get it when people say psych can't make surgery, radiology, derm, etc money. Of course the derm PP will make more than the psychiatrist. But if you're just looking for facility jobs in these other fields, theres no reason psych can't be comparable at least in my limited experience thus far.

Then again, you hire a bunch of therapists, other docs, run IOPs, etc. I don't see why PP psych can't be comparable to derm PP.
Are you currently doing this? The reason you don’t understand is because you’ve never actually tried to do it, go make 650k a year then report back on how easy it is, the only people making these comments seem to be residents who haven’t done it yet, is it possible? Of course but it definitely requires more than 40 hours a week and is a grind that generally is not worth it for the majority of people.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
. He got up early and rounded on an inpatient unit in the city he lived (8-10 patients), then had a hired driver bring him to our city (2 hours away) where he dictated his notes on the drive, rounded on his patients in the hospital where we were (8-ish patients), then did outpatient clinic in the afternoon and had the driver return him to his city
Honestly this sounds like a nightmare. Time is the most precious commodity and the choice to monitize every waking hour baffles me. Most animals spend most of their lives idling pleasantly.

Reactions: 5 users
Are you currently doing this? The reason you don’t understand is because you’ve never actually tried to do it, go make 650k a year then report back on how easy it is, the only people making these comments seem to be residents who haven’t done it yet, is it possible? Of course but it definitely requires more than 40 hours a week and is a grind that generally is not worth it for the majority of people.
I mean theres other people in this thread who are further along than me (pgy4) who are also reporting on this. But FWIW, I'm making >200k moonlighting this year (residency salary not included) so I feel somewhat qualified to speak on this.

I just don't get what you think is so hard. I've got one job that is offering 250 *12 hour shifts. 8 shifts a month is ~290k. PP 16 hours a week isn't difficult to add on and would generate another 250-300k once fully established. That's equivalent to Mon-Thur with three day weekends every weekend.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean theres other people in this thread who are further along than me (pgy4) who are also reporting on this. But FWIW, I'm making >200k moonlighting this year (residency salary not included) so I feel somewhat qualified to speak on this.

I just don't get what you think is so hard. I've got one job that is offering 250 *12 hour shifts. 8 shifts a month is ~290k. PP 16 hours a week isn't difficult to add on and would generate another 250-300k once fully established. That's equivalent to Mon-Thur with three day weekends every weekend.
If you're trying to say that 16 hours a week, 52 weeks a year (who on earth would work more than 46 weeks in a year, honestly), you could consistently be making $300 per hour "easily" (16 x 52 = 832 hours, 832 x 300 = 250k) you're neglecting a lot of the undercompensated hours. Sure, at 832 clinical hours of cash-based private practice you could generate $250k/year if you're billing $300 per hour and collecting at the time of service, but it takes a while to build up to that and then continue to maintain it when you're also working another job, especially since you won't be quite as available.

If you're trying to say that 16 hours a week, 52 weeks a year (who on earth would work more than 46 weeks in a year, honestly), you could consistently be making $300 per hour "easily" (16 x 52 = 832 hours, 832 x 300 = 250k) you're neglecting a lot of the undercompensated hours. Sure, at 832 clinical hours of cash-based private practice you could generate $250k/year if you're billing $300 per hour and collecting at the time of service, but it takes a while to build up to that and then continue to maintain it when you're also working another job, especially since you won't be quite as available.
I generate far more than 300 per hour for the small clinic I moonlight at now. Their negotiated rates are in line with solo practice docs in the area so it's not like they've got a special contract.

At least around here NPs generate 300/hr if doing two follow ups.

I can't speak to making into the upper six figs (800-1M) but I can say it's not seeming at all difficult to land a couple of jobs +/- PP and make into the 550-700k/year range. None of these combinations require more than 40ish hours a week either. I honestly don't get it when people say psych can't make surgery, radiology, derm, etc money. Of course the derm PP will make more than the psychiatrist. But if you're just looking for facility jobs in these other fields, theres no reason psych can't be comparable at least in my limited experience thus far.

Then again, you hire a bunch of therapists, other docs, run IOPs, etc. I don't see why PP psych can't be comparable to derm PP.
Leads me to believe you are either in NYC or Singapore?

I don't see why PP psych can't be comparable to derm PP.

Because a 11400 full thickness noncancerous excisional biopsy 0.5cm or less (not denying derm is doing real work here but takes all of <10 minutes to do) pays the same as a 99214. A shave biopsy to keep your skin tag from rubbing on your waistband pays more than a 99213.

Because a 11400 full thickness noncancerous excisional biopsy 0.5cm or less (not denying derm is doing real work here but takes all of <10 minutes to do) pays the same as a 99214. A shave biopsy to keep your skin tag from rubbing on your waistband pays more than a 99213.
Being somewhat facetious. But yes in a one to one comparison, there is no comparison. The most direct comparison would be a PP owner with multiple therapists and potentially other psychiatrists working there.

It is not standard for people to generate 300k in 16 hours of private practice and it doesn't matter what you pencil out because the data on income shows that's not how it bears out.

It is not standard for people to generate 300k in 16 hours of private practice and it doesn't matter what you pencil out because the data on income shows that's not how it bears out.
That's averaging 400/hr at 16 hours for 47 weeks a year. I'm not disagreeing with you, but in a hcol city is it really that unreasonable to achieve as a solo practitioner? Most of the cash practices I look at around here have follow up rates that would allow for this.

In my clinic experience most of the patients (90%) have 2+ diagnoses. This would allow for a 99214. This plus 90833 would get you to 400/hr as well if seeing two per hr. After you filled of course.

Last edited:

True. First it will take a few years to even get a gross amount near that or sometimes never (sushi's case). Then you have overhead. 25% overhead is low but even if your able to achieve it 300 at 16 hrs brings you down more likely to 210-220. Your probably also going to be seeing patients closer to 20 hours and working more than that given no shows, and some insurance issues that don't pay or pay less etc.

Guys why don't you start these hypothetical practices and in a few years post back and maybe do a comparison of what you thought prior to doing it vs the reality.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I was a 4th year resident on inpatient, we had to work at an inpatient unit not associated with our hospital because they were renovating our inpatient unit, and we split the other inpatient unit with the docs who were originally working there. One doc was kind enough to sit down with me and some of the jr residents and discuss his work schedule and this sounds pretty close to what he did. He got up early and rounded on an inpatient unit in the city he lived (8-10 patients), then had a hired driver bring him to our city (2 hours away) where he dictated his notes on the drive, rounded on his patients in the hospital where we were (8-ish patients), then did outpatient clinic in the afternoon and had the driver return him to his city. Never told us exactly how much he was making but indicated it was upper 100's at least. Basically covered 2 inpatient units in the am and afternoon outpatient clinic. Said he wasn't planning on doing it for long though.
Agree with 5th element, this sounds absolutely miserable. Even if you're getting your notes done, I better be making a ton to be commuting 4 hours per day then going to outpatient clinic. Even then, sounds like this person has no life outside of work, which is why I'd guess he said he wouldn't do it for long. But yes, you can make 7 figures if you decide to work the equivalent of 3 FT positions.

If you know the right people you will know a much higher percentage than that.

Plus as others have pointed out it actually isn't even that hard to get that level of income if you work a little and you're efficient with good systems and good people on your teams
You've got to do more than "work a little", you have to be a workhorse or at least do so initially to build the practice up and continue your efficiency permanently. Having a good system with reliable people is also easier said than done. The more you expand and do, the more policies you need with reliable people to follow through. One poor employee can sink the ship. A lot of physicians also just don't have the business sense to do this. If everyone did, there wouldn't be any of us employed in outpatient positions outside of academic centers.

In my clinic experience most of the patients (90%) have 2+ diagnoses. This would allow for a 99214. This plus 90833 would get you to 400/hr as well if seeing two per hr. After you filled of course.
This is assuming everyone is being given a 90833 add-on which isn't realistic (and sometimes fraud) as well as neglecting no-show rates and assuming insurance is actually going to reimburse you for all of that. I don't think a lot of people realize how much of a battle it can be just to get insurance to pay you.

You've got to do more than "work a little", you have to be a workhorse or at least do so initially to build the practice up and continue your efficiency permanently. Having a good system with reliable people is also easier said than done. The more you expand and do, the more policies you need with reliable people to follow through. One poor employee can sink the ship. A lot of physicians also just don't have the business sense to do this. If everyone did, there wouldn't be any of us employed in outpatient positions outside of academic centers.

This is assuming everyone is being given a 90833 add-on which isn't realistic (and sometimes fraud) as well as neglecting no-show rates and assuming insurance is actually going to reimburse you for all of that. I don't think a lot of people realize how much of a battle it can be just to get insurance to pay you.
I've got a highly recommended medical biller who claims he gets reimbursed 96%. Seems like a good biller could alleviate the time and frustration of that battle, no?

I've got a highly recommended medical biller who claims he gets reimbursed 96%. Seems like a good biller could alleviate the time and frustration of that battle, no?

Let me just give a real life example of how this can go sideways if you don't have good billing people. Earlier this year a major insurer for me (probably 50%+ of my patients have this insurance) started auto rejecting every single one of my 90833s. Every one. Luckily our clinic billing person recognized this was happening almost right away, contacted the insurer directly, spoke with people they know at the insurer who said it was a "glitch" (yeah right) that they would fix right away but if we wanted to get paid for all those other charts we'd have to resubmit.

This was still several weeks worth of charts though which is thousands of dollars worth of 90833s, all of which had to be manually resubmitted, which is a good amount of (now either unpaid if you're solo or time you're paying your biller) time and effort.

I've heard stories of insurers automatically downcoding charts and making you fight it, insurers denying a certain number of 99214s per patient per year per provider, insurers rejecting or auto-auditing 90833s requiring you to resubmit those claims frequently. So yeah, there are a lot of ways insurance companies can slow down or straight up try to refuse to pay you. If you're trying to bill every single patient as a 99214 + 90833, I'd also suspect you can expect to land on insurance radar at some point.

• Angry
  • Wow
Let me just give a real life example of how this can go sideways if you don't have good billing people. Earlier this year a major insurer for me (probably 50%+ of my patients have this insurance) started auto rejecting every single one of my 90833s. Every one. Luckily our clinic billing person recognized this was happening almost right away, contacted the insurer directly, spoke with people they know at the insurer who said it was a "glitch" (yeah right) that they would fix right away but if we wanted to get paid for all those other charts we'd have to resubmit.

This was still several weeks worth of charts though which is thousands of dollars worth of 90833s, all of which had to be manually resubmitted, which is a good amount of (now either unpaid if you're solo or time you're paying your biller) time and effort.

I've heard stories of insurers automatically downcoding charts and making you fight it, insurers denying a certain number of 99214s per patient per year per provider, insurers rejecting or auto-auditing 90833s requiring you to resubmit those claims frequently. So yeah, there are a lot of ways insurance companies can slow down or straight up try to refuse to pay you. If you're trying to bill every single patient as a 99214 + 90833, I'd also suspect you can expect to land on insurance radar at some point.
All helpful info, thank you.

I feel very confident in that I've got a good medical biller. He's been recommended by numerous psychiatrists in the area. Hoping this will alleviate many of these concerns.

All helpful info, thank you.

I feel very confident in that I've got a good medical biller. He's been recommended by numerous psychiatrists in the area. Hoping this will alleviate many of these concerns.

A solid biller can make a world of difference, but the point I was trying to make is the one C&H made. Insurance companies will often use devious means and do whatever they can to reimburse you as little as possible. Having a good biller won’t stop them from doing that, as they can just say “too bad” if they want to. At that point you can eat the loss, take them to court, or drop them as an insurance you take. Frankly, if you’re a solo practice taking a big insurance company, they probably won’t care much if you drop them and taking them to court can be expensive and is a huge hassle, so that basically leaves eating the if they don’t want to comply.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with 5th element, this sounds absolutely miserable. Even if you're getting your notes done, I better be making a ton to be commuting 4 hours per day then going to outpatient clinic. Even then, sounds like this person has no life outside of work, which is why I'd guess he said he wouldn't do it for long. But yes, you can make 7 figures if you decide to work the equivalent of 3 FT positions.

Sorry, I should specify when I say work a little I am being a little facetious. I mean you are gonna have to work hard (which many psych docs sorry don't have that mentality and see even seeing a handful of patients a day as hard) and you will have to be efficient IE all the time you are "working" in the day is actual money generating work. You can't be "working" for 8 hrs but if you truly look at how much time is spent on an income-driving activity and see that it is truly 4 hours. That is why inpatient work is so efficient you can truly create an efficient day. No sitting around waiting for patients or having people throwing off your schedule. Notes can be efficiently managed with smart phrases/templates to do most of the heavy lifting so you are not wasting an hour plus on notes each day. Plus if you have good nursing and good SW much of the extra busy work will be managed. PP is a whole different ball game when it comes to trying to generate above 500k while not working some grueling days.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Yes this is something they will do so not only does your biller need to be on top of it but so does your documentation. And they can drag you through audits and make you fight hard to get the money and waste a lot of your precious time. So just billing out all 99214+90833 or 99213+90833 you better make sure you and your biller are both on top if it. Because the audit process is not a fun one and its time consuming and they will do what ever they can to take back money from you

Sorry, I should specify when I say work a little I am being a little facetious. I mean you are gonna have to work hard (which many psych docs sorry don't have that mentality and see even seeing a handful of patients a day as hard) and you will have to be efficient IE all the time you are "working" in the day is actual money generating work. You can't be "working" for 8 hrs but if you truly look at how much time is spent on an income-driving activity and see that it is truly 4 hours. That is why inpatient work is so efficient you can truly create an efficient day. No sitting around waiting for patients or having people throwing off your schedule. Notes can be efficiently managed with smart phrases/templates to do most of the heavy lifting so you are not wasting an hour plus on notes each day. Plus if you have good nursing and good SW much of the extra busy work will be managed. PP is a whole different ball game when it comes to trying to generate above 500k while not working some grueling days.
I don't believe that only doing income generating activities is the same as being efficient. Good patient care will require tasks like attending rounds, working collaboratively with social workers on psychosocial aspects of care, providing expert perspective to milieu staff on strategies for dealing with particularly difficult patients, talking to families, engaging with hospital structures such as pharmacy, compliance, legal, the ED, nursing leadership around ongoing strategies for quality improvement, reviewing recent literature to make sure you remain up to date on best practices, understanding local policy changes, completing commitment paperwork, responding to patient experience people, completing prior authorizations, and documenting in a way where your note carries the necessary information to support billing, inform the practice of subsequent providers and fully capture your formulation and work done versus just using a bunch of dot phrases. I am very efficient but also do a good job and I make good money but it is not 4 hours for 15 patients its more like 5 - 6 hours for 10 - 12 patients. I have no doubt that there are providers who see more patients in less time but if you were to achieve that by refusing to be comprehensive in the way described I wouldn't hire you on my team, and I would likely have no difficulty finding someone who was willing to do a more thorough job as income data supports that most people are ok making $350k for a full time (6 - 8 hours) inpatient job versus wanting to make more for a half day which is what you are proposing as a reasonable standard.

No one is making that in psychiatry, maybe 1 in a 1000 or something but not common at all

It's not common, but it's more common than 1 in a 1000. I now know 5 psychiatrists who make upper six to seven figures by covering multiple units plus clinic or owning large clinics (as well as 2 psychologists who own large psychiatry clinics).

Honestly this sounds like a nightmare. Time is the most precious commodity and the choice to monitize every waking hour baffles me. Most animals spend most of their lives idling pleasantly.

Actually most animals that aren't pets spend their waking hours working at survival (gathering food and trying not to be eaten). But I get your point.

At the same time, psych patients need to be seen. These old school psychiatrists choose to work doctor hours and accordingly make doctor pay. Arguably, I am wasting societal resources and my training by choosing to work bankers' hours while EDs are backed up with psych boarders and waitlists to see a psychiatrist are months long.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't believe that only doing income generating activities is the same as being efficient. Good patient care will require tasks like attending rounds, working collaboratively with social workers on psychosocial aspects of care, providing expert perspective to milieu staff on strategies for dealing with particularly difficult patients, talking to families, engaging with hospital structures such as pharmacy, compliance, legal, the ED, nursing leadership around ongoing strategies for quality improvement, reviewing recent literature to make sure you remain up to date on best practices, understanding local policy changes, completing commitment paperwork, responding to patient experience people, completing prior authorizations, and documenting in a way where your note carries the necessary information to support billing, inform the practice of subsequent providers and fully capture your formulation and work done versus just using a bunch of dot phrases. I am very efficient but also do a good job and I make good money but it is not 4 hours for 15 patients its more like 5 - 6 hours for 10 - 12 patients. I have no doubt that there are providers who see more patients in less time but if you were to achieve that by refusing to be comprehensive in the way described I wouldn't hire you on my team, and I would likely have no difficulty finding someone who was willing to do a more thorough job as income data supports that most people are ok making $350k for a full time (6 - 8 hours) inpatient job versus wanting to make more for a half day which is what you are proposing as a reasonable standard.
I guess I will just mostly fully disagree. The things you describe are part of why I said you need a good team. 90+% of engaging with "hospital structures" should be done by others, dunno why legal is in there how often are you talking to legal? Prior auth can be done by office staff. Talking to families should primarily be sw or nursing unless it is only something you can do (you should be doing what you are the expert at). Why are you talking to the ED? (I work at both a stand-alone and integrated psych hospital and neither requires interaction with an ED im genuinely curious why you talk to the ED unless you are doing consults. I also worked at a VA and still had no contact with the ED.) Nursing leadership should self-manage and if you are constantly needing to talk to them that describes that there are issues. QI is admin work I dont want to do that work and that would not be daily that is normally a monthly meeting. I could keep addressing the other very small things you bring up which are all hopefully not things you do that add to your daily time. Collaborative work with good nurses and good social workers that are competent will involve texts during the day and maybe a phone call if you don't have your staff trained well. 10-15 min to work on talking to specific people about the few priority cases (if you are only caring 12 patients you might have 1 that is a high-needs family you cant try to tell me even 4+ will be) Staffing done twice a week in between the contact throughout the week takes 40min total and this would encompass UM/SW/Nursing supervisors. It sounds to me like there are some massive holes in the team approach you describe if you are finding the need to be in contact with all the people you mentioned on a daily basis for such a small caseload.

• Dislike
I guess I will just mostly fully disagree. The things you describe are part of why I said you need a good team. 90+% of engaging with "hospital structures" should be done by others, dunno why legal is in there how often are you talking to legal? Prior auth can be done by office staff. Talking to families should primarily be sw or nursing unless it is only something you can do (you should be doing what you are the expert at). Why are you talking to the ED? (I work at both a stand-alone and integrated psych hospital and neither requires interaction with an ED im genuinely curious why you talk to the ED unless you are doing consults. I also worked at a VA and still had no contact with the ED.) Nursing leadership should self-manage and if you are constantly needing to talk to them that describes that there are issues. QI is admin work I dont want to do that work and that would not be daily that is normally a monthly meeting. I could keep addressing the other very small things you bring up which are all hopefully not things you do that add to your daily time. Collaborative work with good nurses and good social workers that are competent will involve texts during the day and maybe a phone call if you don't have your staff trained well. 10-15 min to work on talking to specific people about the few priority cases (if you are only caring 12 patients you might have 1 that is a high-needs family you cant try to tell me even 4+ will be) Staffing done twice a week in between the contact throughout the week takes 40min total and this would encompass UM/SW/Nursing supervisors. It sounds to me like there are some massive holes in the team approach you describe if you are finding the need to be in contact with all the people you mentioned on a daily basis for such a small caseload.
Oh I completely realize you don't agree. I'm explaining why reality is the way it is, which is where only a very small proportion of psychiatrists make the kind of money you believe should be easy to achieve. Please practice in a way that feels good to you and in a few years you can post about how mad you are that NPs are replacing your narrow, profit-driven, rote, strictly biomedical functions.

Oh I completely realize you don't agree. I'm explaining why reality is the way it is, which is where only a very small proportion of psychiatrists make the kind of money you believe should be easy to achieve. Please practice in a way that feels good to you and in a few years you can post about how mad you are that NPs are replacing your narrow, profit-driven, rote, strictly biomedical functions.
I think it’s good that people can understand there are multiple ways to work and to know there actually are ways to structure your work, work ethic, and your team. I’ve seen both ends where the hospital is set up to make sure the doctors work is central and highly efficient and functional or in other set ups where you do social work jobs, nursing jobs etc. I didn’t become a psychiatrist to do Sw. I love them and respect them but I don’t envy nor want to do their job same with nursing. I love the team environment and really like the people that I work with we get along quite well. So my work is set up seemingly dichotomously different than your job and people should know that it exists and not to settle if they don’t want to.

Sure my job might get replaced at some point but as long as that isn’t in the next 3-5 years (I’m just under 2.5 years out I’ll have hit financial independence, loans paid off under a year, and aggressively dumping all I can into VSTAX and a smaller portion into a growth index fund. Diversifying a little into real estate to get some passive income generated. So if my job goes away that would be unfortunate I like it but I’m happy to find jobs that allow me to work hard be efficient and be paid for what I went to school for to make sure I have my parachute ready to deploy.

I think it’s good that people can understand there are multiple ways to work and to know there actually are ways to structure your work, work ethic, and your team. I’ve seen both ends where the hospital is set up to make sure the doctors work is central and highly efficient and functional or in other set ups where you do social work jobs, nursing jobs etc. I didn’t become a psychiatrist to do Sw. I love them and respect them but I don’t envy nor want to do their job same with nursing. I love the team environment and really like the people that I work with we get along quite well. So my work is set up seemingly dichotomously different than your job and people should know that it exists and not to settle if they don’t want to.

Sure my job might get replaced at some point but as long as that isn’t in the next 3-5 years (I’m just under 2.5 years out I’ll have hit financial independence, loans paid off under a year, and aggressively dumping all I can into VSTAX and a smaller portion into a growth index fund. Diversifying a little into real estate to get some passive income generated. So if my job goes away that would be unfortunate I like it but I’m happy to find jobs that allow me to work hard be efficient and be paid for what I went to school for to make sure I have my parachute ready to deploy.
I guess that's fair. To clarify, I don't 'do' the SW or nurses job, but I leverage the knowledge and experience that comes from a long and broad training experience (residency) to guide their decisions (such as offering input on appropriate behavioral strategies for managing problematic behavior, or encouraging specific guidance being shared with the outpatient provider that is derived from information learned about the patient in the course of their hospitalization). The unit I work on now is very well set up but the physicians involve themselves in other aspects of care to the benefit of the patients and other providers. This drives good, measurable outcomes and a good work experience. Yes, you are correct, one could insist on not being involved in the overall vitality of the unit and restrict yourself to biomedical functions - I would say I also didn't become a psychiatrist to 'do SW' but I certainly didn't become one just to start antipsychotics and I try and apply my experience to the care of the patient across more than one dimension. I still make a lot of money but no, I could not make $1 million with my approach. My primary reason for engagement around this was the suggestion that making $1 million in psychiatry was somehow not exceptional and I contest that it is because it requires a very narrow style of clinical practice that may impact patient care or not be tolerated by systems that expect more. I am glad that you have found a way to find it to be both possible and meaningful.