How does this semester look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firecracked

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me out quickly. I have a new opportunity that just came up that changes my Fall 08 schedule, so I was wondering how this may look to adcoms.

My current schedule for the fall (junior year):
- Cell Bio
- Orgo 1
- Physiolgical Psychology (major course)
- Statistics (required for major)

The first 3 classes on their own are going to require A LOT of work. Stats normally wouldn't be too bad, but only one professor teaches it and he's apparently no good and you basically have to teach it to yourself, and I've never had Stats before.

I've been a little worried about the workload. I know I need to get used to heavy courseloads, but I don't want to risk my GPA. I've got it at a 3.5 right now, and I don't want it to dip any lower.

I just got invited to be a lab assistant for Intro Bio. All I have to do is go to the lab section and help out. I can additionally take a 2 credit seminar course for lab assistants along with that, which meets only 3 times during the semester. Also, only those students who work as lab assistants can be chosen to be a tutor for a specialized tutoring group for Intro Bio. The Biology department also writes great LORs for lab assistants.

So I was thinking about dropping Statistics (I can take it later) and instead taking the 2 credit course and working as a lab assistant. It would free up more time for me to work on my 3 intensive classes, and I'd only be taking 2 less hours than a normal full schedule (14 hours versus the regular 16 hours).

So basically, I'm wondering how this will look on my transcript? Does it look bad if I don't take the maximum amount of hours I can take? Will they look at my transcript and think that I can't handle the courseload?

Members don't see this ad.

No, it doesn't look bad if you don't take max. Just don't take the minimum.

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me out quickly. I have a new opportunity that just came up that changes my Fall 08 schedule, so I was wondering how this may look to adcoms.

My current schedule for the fall (junior year):
- Cell Bio
- Orgo 1
- Physiolgical Psychology (major course)
- Statistics (required for major)

The first 3 classes on their own are going to require A LOT of work. Stats normally wouldn't be too bad, but only one professor teaches it and he's apparently no good and you basically have to teach it to yourself, and I've never had Stats before.

I've been a little worried about the workload. I know I need to get used to heavy courseloads, but I don't want to risk my GPA. I've got it at a 3.5 right now, and I don't want it to dip any lower.

I just got invited to be a lab assistant for Intro Bio. All I have to do is go to the lab section and help out. I can additionally take a 2 credit seminar course for lab assistants along with that, which meets only 3 times during the semester. Also, only those students who work as lab assistants can be chosen to be a tutor for a specialized tutoring group for Intro Bio. The Biology department also writes great LORs for lab assistants.

So I was thinking about dropping Statistics (I can take it later) and instead taking the 2 credit course and working as a lab assistant. It would free up more time for me to work on my 3 intensive classes, and I'd only be taking 2 less hours than a normal full schedule (14 hours versus the regular 16 hours).

So basically, I'm wondering how this will look on my transcript? Does it look bad if I don't take the maximum amount of hours I can take? Will they look at my transcript and think that I can't handle the courseload?

It's all about how much time YOU want to dedicate. You can take stuff later, yes. On the other hand, you could take more classes and have less time. It's manageable. I have Physical chemistry- quantum, physics II, biology II, speech, calc III, research and TA along with 2 online courses. However, there isn't much ME time. I'll be glad once it's all over but glad I did it at one time. I'd recommend it. It'll teach you time management. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
14 hrs vs. the "regular" 16 hrs?? Hmm...I don't think it matters. Only taking 14 hrs is not a red-flag that you can't handle the work.

are you at a semester school or quarter?

i know semester schools people usually take 4-5 classes? and quarter schools people usually take 3-4 classes?

i always took 3 classes at my quarter school.

i think taking only 3 classes at your semester school would be too little. that would be like me taking 2 classes at my quarter school.

i think you can handle even more classes then you planned. you just need good time management.

in dental school you will be taking 10 classes. 4-5 classes is nothing?

You could take them all if you wanted to. It's all about how you manage time.
It won't look bad by the way, but if you know how to manage time and when to study what, and prioritize... then you can do them all without busting your GPA.

Thanks for all the info guys. Unfortunately, it didn't work out due to schedule conflicts. Appreciate the help, though.