How does your school deal with your loupe purchase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to work with my school concerning the way in which we purchase our loupes. I want some background on how other schools handle loupes for their students so i know what others are doing too. Could you tell me what school you go to and how your school gets loupes for you?

At Pacific, included in our tuition is about $1000 for loupes. The sales rep for just one company, Designs for Visions, comes in one day and gives us a presentation on their loupes options. We get standard 2.5x magnification loupes with any of the frame types for the price of our tuition and are given 1 free trade in to change the frames or add a prescription if necessary to the lenses. If we want to upgrade to high magnifications or get a light attachment, it is an additional out of pocket cost. If we want to purchase loupes from another company, we are no refunded the portion of our tuition and we have to buy the loupes from that other company out of pocket.

How does it work at your schools...please help.

Members don't see this ad.

U of MN - Not required, hence not given any allowance for them. I was still able to get full reimbursement from the military though (1 grand).

At UMKC we aren't required to have loupes. With that being said, I believe our Cost of Attendance that we can get loans for includes somewhere between $800-$1000 for purchasing loupes. If you want loupes that cost more than that, you will need to pay out of your living expenses loan money. Reps from about 4 different companies visit the school on a regular basis with their displays. I don't think the administration of the school is involved in any way, except to allow the vendors to set up their stuff in the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Temple reps from all the major companies come and stop by every few weeks and let the students come up and check out their products. Usually they bring lunch, like pizza or subs, to entice the students to come and browse. The school does not provide any funding for the loupes, nor do they require them. So as far as I know it is purchase out of pocket, but your free to choose from whoever you like, but "choose wisely" for some will bring you better vision than others as I have learned. Many companies offer a no obligation 45 day free trial, which is nice.

we have $750 as part of our student issue set aside for loupes. anything above that we have to pay for out of pocket. most end up paying out of pocket. Our school schedules a day where all of the companies that sell loupes are invited. All companies that come are supposed to have at least one pair available at $750. We also have a lady who is PT and ergonomics expert come give us a lecture before hand.

Maryland: not req'd, not included in our tuition. We have several loupe representatives visit the student center throughout the year. Only 1 is actually allowed to enter the dental school because they donated a bunch of money to the school.

I don't think it's crap that a school requires loupe purchase; I do think it's crap if they pigeon hole you into a particular manufacturer and magnification. The student should decide who they buy through and what magnification they use.

jb!:)

Marquette lets you decide for yourself, reps come and buy us lunch. Last year Orasopic, surgitel, and designs for vision came, zeiss cancelled.

Thanks a bunch...I spoke with our admins and they've already set up the same contract as last year for the incoming class, but I'm planning on bringing up different options for the class after them. We're pretty unhappy with our loupes situation in my class....thanks.

Thanks a bunch...I spoke with our admins and they've already set up the same contract as last year for the incoming class, but I'm planning on bringing up different options for the class after them. We're pretty unhappy with our loupes situation in my class....thanks.

Maybe the school received a donation from the manufacturer. Check your school's campaign contributers.

Maybe the school received a donation from the manufacturer. Check your school's campaign contributers.

I looked into this when I started school, and all I could find were rumors. I'm happy with my loupes, but it would have been nice to get to choose from a few, especially since the provider chosen for us only offers TTL loupes, which can be a hassle.

In a way I liked that we didn't choose our loups - because at the time I would have had no idea what I was looking for. I probably would have just bought the absolute cheapest pair that they offered.

loupes at USC are not included in your FA but you can take your receipt for loupes and light up to the FA office and get that amount increased on you award. So basically you get reimbursed for them with loan money no limit on price.

In a way I liked that we didn't choose our loups - because at the time I would have had no idea what I was looking for. I probably would have just bought the absolute cheapest pair that they offered.

Don't worry, before I start rattling off ideas for how the situation should be settled, I'll take a poll of the class to see what they would've, in retrospect, preferred as a method of choosing loupes.