How early should I start to volunteer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elsenor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshmen in college right now. I've never volunteered at a hospital or done anything science related in high school. So in order to prepare myself for when I apply to med schools how can I best get myself on track? When should I start to do research (I did 2 years of research in an engineering lab in high school), volunteer, and shadow at hospitals?

When is the optimal time?

Members don't see this ad.

You're a freshman. Focus on getting the best grades you can, then worry about extracurricular activities.

You can do stuff now (research, volunteer, work, etc), but I wouldn't do that unless you're pulling a 4.0 with plenty of room to spare. And even if you are, I'd enjoy life a bit. It's a long, uphill climb ahead of you. Make some friends, experience college a bit. At most, make some connections with faculty if you can (gives good research opportunities which lead to good letters) by route of things like office hours. If you do start something, start small. Volunteering and shadowing are good starts because they have extremely small time commitments. Ultimately, do well, and see what opportunities present themselves to you part way into next semester after you know how well you're doing. Make sure you set up some summer plans for next year in that spring semester.

Personally, I did a lot of inconsequential extracurricular activities early on. I would have been better off waiting until the summer after my freshman year. Not advising it, in fact strongly advise against it, but there are plenty of medical students who didn't start clinical experiences until the year of their application.

Reactions: 1 user
Clinical volunteering and shadowing as a freshman can be a good way yo decide if you like medicine. It is good to learn to juggle work, ECs and volunteering as you tackle academics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! It's just that my friends who are freshmen are starting to do research and have been volunteering for many years and I haven't really started. So that is why I am panicking. My goal is to get into med school the first time I apply.

I'm a freshmen in college right now. I've never volunteered at a hospital or done anything science related in high school. So in order to prepare myself for when I apply to med schools how can I best get myself on track? When should I start to do research (I did 2 years of research in an engineering lab in high school), volunteer, and shadow at hospitals?

When is the optimal time?

I'd do it whenever you feel comfortable. That being said, the earlier you can start volunteering, the better. It shows a longer commitment, vs. someone who decides to start volunteering half a year before applying. I've been a volunteer since junior year of highschool, and was fortunate enough to get a gig where I get to pick and choose my own hours. Whenever I have time or feel like it I can just schedule myself online and show up that same day.

So not saying @NoDakDok is wrong, they're 100% right that you need to nail your academics first. In my case though it didn't hurt to start earlier, and in fact helped because I've been a volunteer for so long and have gotten in quite a few hours. Just my personal experience though

Depending on what school you're going to there might even be a club devoted entirely to volunteering in the community. The name of the club escapes me at the moment, but it's spread across the entire country.

My advice is to start volunteering as soon as possible, AFTER you've acclimated to college and feel confident in your time management skills and with where your grades are.

That being said, I don't think it's necessary to spend a heavy amount of time volunteering initially. I would start "shopping around," to find activities that interest you. This is one of the benefits of starting earlier - you get to really find something that you're interested in and would like to commit to. I think the best thing you can do for your application is evaluate your extracurriculars/volunteers with the filter of talking about it at your interview…if it's something that you can see yourself easily talking about and being enthusiastic and knowledgable about at your interview, then that's something you should do.

Personally, I think one of the stronger parts of my application was the longevity of all of my extracurricular experiences. I started most of them (including research) during the spring semester of my freshmen year (or fall of sophomore), so I had about 2 full years of that activity going into my app cycle. This demonstrated an ability to commit and dedicate my time to something that I found meaningful, and it allowed me to really demonstrate growth and form relationships through those activities. I was able to heavily talk about them throughout my application and essays, and they were more than just a check box. Equally important, the fact that I had a lot of longevity for those activities allowed me to spend less time per week on them. I never really spent more than 2 hours volunteering per week for any single activity, and that helped me really manage my time, as well as allowed me to do more things (and keep my sanity). However, I still had a large number of hours (and more importantly, valuable experiences) going into the app cycle. I know I had some friends who didn't start some stuff until junior year (even the spring semester of junior year), and they were volunteer 4 hours a week per activity. That was crazy to me! I definitely wouldn't have been able to do that…or at least, it would not have been nearly as fun.

Reactions: 1 user
I second what @natti101 said. Through this cycle I talked to a lot of admissions directors and they all mentioned that they like to see longevity in an applicant's activities, rather than several shorter activities. My first semester I wanted to do everything from clubs to the school paper until I ended up with a 3.6 and started freaking out.

And so I stuck with two med related activities: EMT at my college (gave me 9000+ clinical hours by the time I was done) and my pre-med co-ed fraternity (we volunteer consistently). Everything else was something I already did (writing books, op-eds for the paper) or something I did post-grad (research).

It's never too early to try to figure out if this is right for you, but not at the expense of losing the opportunity to get there.

Best late advice I ever got was to have been an English major and then just done a post-Bacc. Lower stress from a less crazy major (I only say this because I love writing so this would have been a breeze for me, please insert whatever major you'd find less intense), would allow you to volunteer more and gain more experience that is medically related, without jeopardising your grades. Imagine studying for biochem and animal physiology, while doing overnight shifts as an EMT and then volunteering at the Boys and Girls club mid-afternoon. 'Twas not fun, I can tell you. But I had this naive belief that I had to be a science major to go to med school.

Nehoot, I hope something in this ramble is semi-helpful lol. :)

You're a freshman. Focus on getting the best grades you can, then worry about extracurricular activities.

You can do stuff now (research, volunteer, work, etc), but I wouldn't do that unless you're pulling a 4.0 with plenty of room to spare. And even if you are, I'd enjoy life a bit. It's a long, uphill climb ahead of you. Make some friends, experience college a bit. At most, make some connections with faculty if you can (gives good research opportunities which lead to good letters) by route of things like office hours. If you do start something, start small. Volunteering and shadowing are good starts because they have extremely small time commitments. Ultimately, do well, and see what opportunities present themselves to you part way into next semester after you know how well you're doing. Make sure you set up some summer plans for next year in that spring semester.

Personally, I did a lot of inconsequential extracurricular activities early on. I would have been better off waiting until the summer after my freshman year. Not advising it, in fact strongly advise against it, but there are plenty of medical students who didn't start clinical experiences until the year of their application.

I strongly disagree with this.

If you are struggling in school, you should be adjusting and figuring out your academics first. Learning how to study, learning how to manage your time, etc. But, to say, "4.0 with ease or you should be studying more" is just silly. Grades are important, but sacrificing development because of them is pretty damn stupid.

The first question that you need to answer is, should you even by applying to medical school. Assuming that you are smart and driven enough to make it to medical school and survive it (pretty low bar to be honest), is medicine right for you? That is what a lot of ECs are for. It isn't about filling up an application. It is about personal and professional development that in turn makes you a more attractive applicant. Very few pre-meds or even medical students do something so fantastic that their ECs stand by themselves as a model of productivity. How the ECs shape you into a person that will be a good physician (outside of the mandatory academic requirements) is everything.

I spent the morning reviewing applications and CVs for next week's interview day for our residency. When I was doing medical school admissions, it was the exact same process of reviewing academics and then looking at LOR/rest of the application. We have an endless supply of excellent academics. I picked out my top 5 applicants that I wanted one of my co-residents to review. What separated them from the others had nothing to do with classroom academics. It was all about what their clinical professors thought of them and what they did outside of their mandatory hours in the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
I strongly disagree with this.

If you are struggling in school, you should be adjusting and figuring out your academics first. Learning how to study, learning how to manage your time, etc.

This is what I meant to imply, as OP gives no indication of his/her current academic background.

But, to say, "4.0 with ease or you should be studying more" is just silly. Grades are important, but sacrificing development because of them is pretty damn stupid.

I admit I shouldn't have been that harsh. I regret saying that as it gives the wrong connotation. But if you're not pulling an A average you are severely hampering your ability to be a competitive applicant. Freshman year is a big change of pace and OP should focus on acclimating first and foremost.

A more accurate statement would have been "If you're not pulling at least a 3.5." If you're not competitive academically, very little in the EC department will compensate (with notable exceptions). At no point did I insinuate professional development should be sacrificed, just delayed for acclimation purposes. To add to that I provided an anecdotal experience that I oft see, where people do silly things like skip ECs completely until application year, and I strongly suggested against it, even though a few successful applicants do it.

If you look at my post history you will see I'm an extremely strong proponent of making a holistic application, but that starts with solid academics. If you don't have that, people like you and @LizzyM will never even see the application in the first place. That's why people like you aren't concerned with academics when reviewing applications. The end of my post clarified that point, ECs are very important, but you have to be eligible in the first place before they matter. I would never have been considered at a majority of the schools I applied to had I not had the academics to back it up in the first place. Again, OP is a freshman, not a current applicant, and that's why I stressed it as such.

The first question that you need to answer is, should you even by applying to medical school. Assuming that you are smart and driven enough to make it to medical school and survive it (pretty low bar to be honest), is medicine right for you? That is what a lot of ECs are for. It isn't about filling up an application. It is about personal and professional development that in turn makes you a more attractive applicant. Very few pre-meds or even medical students do something so fantastic that their ECs stand by themselves as a model of productivity. How the ECs shape you into a person that will be a good physician (outside of the mandatory academic requirements) is everything.

Agreed. But this quote as a whole becomes far more relevant as time goes on, and your bolded assumption removes the whole point I was making. OP is a freshman who did not give any indication to their current academic standing. It is most important that he/she acclimates to that environment and knows how well they are doing before they start going soul searching. 2 hours a week volunteering isn't a big deal, so OP could probably pull that off and since that's his original question, and should go for it given (s)he has the time. Same goes for shadowing. But anything truly intensive that I would consider significant personal and professional development (e.g. actually working in a hospital) should probably wait until after freshman year. It's a "is the juice worth the squeeze?" type of situation for a Freshman.

As I've always been told it's a lot easier to maintain something than to build it from the ground up. Freshman year is a new experience, OP should embrace it, and should also be cautious of making him/her a less/non-competitive applicant. My original post was to heed caution, as dropped grades in Freshman year is a lot worse for an application than starting things like volunteering, shadowing, and clinical work a few months later.

I spent the morning reviewing applications and CVs for next week's interview day for our residency. When I was doing medical school admissions, it was the exact same process of reviewing academics and then looking at LOR/rest of the application. We have an endless supply of excellent academics.

That's because they've been screened for you already. Essentially what you're repeating is you have to have the academics to even be eligible. Which is true. It's also why I'm saying OP should make sure academics are in check before making significant commitments. My "4.0" expectation was certainly too harsh, but an A average is expected.

I picked out my top 5 applicants that I wanted one of my co-residents to review. What separated them from the others had nothing to do with classroom academics. It was all about what their clinical professors thought of them and what they did outside of their mandatory hours in the hospital.

I never disputed the fact that ECs are important, that would be a ridiculous thing to imply, and I never disputed that academics were relevant once you're being reviewed by a person for a spot you're already qualified for. But for the typical person thinking about going to medical school it's going to be the first, and most important barrier to cross.

Edit: Discussion aside, the answer to OP's original question is simply, "The earliest you are comfortable is the optimal time." Comfort including many things, from academics to social interaction at their new residence.

ETA: I do want to thank you for pointing that out though, @mimelim. I was too quick to type '4.0' as a standard, and was potentially advising a very unhealthy mentality.

Last edited:
You should start planning now since applications must be submitted early. For example, apps start opening up now for summer volunteering at the hospital.

Plus, you want to get some volunteer experiences now so that you have some more free time during your 2nd/3rd year for MCAT preparation.

I began volunteering at a local hospital in my junior year of high school. Try to switch around to different departments when you do so. I ended up being offered a position to work in patient registration in the middle of my freshman year of college and I'm now a senior. Look for opportunities to shadow! Volunteering is great, but it's only beneficial if you're really learning something. Try to engage with people of all departments, not just physicians. The best physicians are the ones who respect and understand the duties of everyone around them. You should be just as excited to speak with nurses, environmental service workers, technicians, laundry associates, and physician assistants as you are to interact with physicians. Understanding the roles of people in the hospital is incredibly beneficial.

While looking to volunteer and get engaged in extracurriculars is crucial, please be mindful that there is a limit to how much you can do. It is better to devote yourself to a few things than it is to stretch yourself thin.