How easy is it to defer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullhorn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how easy it is for people to defer an acceptance. Do most schools even allow deferrment? Any thoughts or experience with this?

bullhorn

Members don't see this ad.

Hey bullhorn!

I do not know many specifics but I will offer what I have heard and read about. Many schools allow accepted students to defer a year. However, they differ on what they will accept as a reason to defer. I know that UPenn is really understanding in terms of deferrment. You just have to have a good reason for doing it. For example, one girl deferred a year at UPenn to continue her dance education. Most schools will not allow you to defer to have a fun year before medical school. If you want to have an experience that you will not be able to have once in medical school, then they understand. I am sure it would be extremely hard for the aforementioned girl to pursue her interest in dancing during or after medical school especially in the depth she would want. Most schools allow you to defer up to 2 years, then you may have get special permission otherwise. All in all, deferring is quite possible but you have to know what you will be doing and make a good case for it. Most schools will be understanding. Just my 2 cents.

--DrJ2B

Thanks DrJ2B, I am interested in a yearlong fellowship (its a new fellowship) that allows fellows to work in DC learning about healthcare and promoting social justice within communities of color. It sounds pretty awesome and I am wondering if I should apply simply becaues the original plan was to be in med school next fall. I think its an opportunity that would greatly benefit my career and might be worthy of a deferrment...

Thanks agian for your 2 cents.

bullhorn

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey bullhorn!

That is a great reason why you would defer. I would gather that most medical schools would understand and grant a deferrment. However, some med schools have programs like that as well where first years can get involved. You may want to research about such programs at the schools you applied to. It may not be something unique to such a program. Many more medical students are becoming involved in such programs in their free time, because med schools feel that getting such experience is invaluable. I know UPenn offers the opportunity of students to work in a clinic for Mexican migrant workers. The students not only help treat them but also help them out in other ways. UPenn also has many programs for working with inner city children informing them about health issues and science in general and promoting education and confidence. These programs may not exactly align with you want to do but so many schools have a myriad of programs that may mirror what you would experience in the fellowship. You may not even have to take a year off to get a similar experience. However, if you cannot find such a program at schools you have applied, then more power to you and go for it. It would not hurt you. I would just recommend you call and ask or search through website or brochures about the specific policies on deferrment for the schools you applied to. Better to be safe than sorry. Also, most schools want to know whether you want to defer my May 1st or May 15th. I am not sure when you would find out whether you got accepted into the fellowship so that may come into play. Good luck with everything! I am actually considering deferrment as well to go to France to learn about the healthcare system or working with indigenous people in Brazil. Instead of deferring, I may just wait until I do clinical rotations, because more and more schools are not only allowing rotations abroad but are funding them and programs in other countries (UPenn, SUNY SB, and other schools).

---DrJ2B

P.S. I am sorry that I mention UPenn a lot. It is by far my #1 choice. I :love: UPenn! :clap:

I am currently deferring and it was a very easy process. For each acceptance I got, I contacted the school to see what their deferral policy was and if what I was considering doing would be worthy of a deferral. The schools were all very straightforward about what would and would not merit a deferral.

I think taking a deferral was one of the best decisions I ever made and as long as you can link what you are doing during your deferral to being a better physician you should have no problems at all!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey dcpremed!

May I please ask what school you deferred from and, if is not not too personal, why? Would you please tell me what your schools have accepted for deferral and not? I know some general things but I am sure the OP and I would greatly appreciate any specifics. Thanks :D

--DrJ2B

I have a question. People talk about defering for a better education and such, but would I be able to defer, because I need to wait till my kids can go into preschool before I start, also that the hubby and I may end up getting a divorce, so give me a year to get my life situated with being a single parent, and to find care fo rmy children while in med school?

Originally posted by lilmacstew
I have a question. People talk about defering for a better education and such, but would I be able to defer, because I need to wait till my kids can go into preschool before I start, also that the hubby and I may end up getting a divorce, so give me a year to get my life situated with being a single parent, and to find care fo rmy children while in med school?

thats a better reason than most.....

that should be no problem at all. just after getting an acceptance...call the schools just to make sure.

Hey lilmacstew!

I am sorry about the possible divorce. I hope everything works out. I am sure that any medical school would understand that and grant a deferral. However, as jlee mentioned, it is best to call each school and make sure it will be okay. I wish you the best of luck with everything! :clap: :clap:

--DrJ2B

Its as easy as pie

DrJ2b,

No worries! I deferred from Creighton SOM for a year to teach English as part of the JET Program in Japan. It's not medically related AT ALL and it is a paying job, but I spun it to Creighton saying that the intecultural awareness that I learn from working in a foreign country and culture will help me to be a better physician as I will have a better understanding of how another culture thinks and it will allow me to be a more sensitive physician. (Which I do believe is the case having spent time abroad previously!)

I applied for a deferral at Loyola and they said it was an acceptable reason for a deferral but did not respond to me by May 15, so I didn't defer there. (Creighton had an answer for me in a week). I also was accepted at UT-Southwestern in the late summer and when I mentioned that I had a deferral elselwhere they said they would not have any problems granting me a deferral.

I think most schools, like I said earlier, will let you defer as long as you can show that what you are doing will make you a better phyisician...eg year-long beach holiday is not going to fly.

I also know that Creighton's one caveat was that under no circumstances could what I do during my deferral involve matriculation at any institution of higher learning...no enrolling in college courses of ANY sort.

Ganbatte! (Good luck in Japanese!) And if you have any questions, just post 'em!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, I didn't know that you could defer acceptance at multiple schools. I was always under the assumption you had to choose your school and then defer by May 15th. Can you enlighten us more on this procedure and at what do you have to CHOOSE which school you intend on attending...

bullhorn

Originally posted by bullhorn
Wow, I didn't know that you could defer acceptance at multiple schools. I was always under the assumption you had to choose your school and then defer by May 15th. Can you enlighten us more on this procedure and at what do you have to CHOOSE which school you intend on attending...

bullhorn

well once you get acceptances....you probably want to see which schools are receptive in giving you a deferral.....so before you decide which school you want to go to by the 15th....you want to see what the schools accepted you think about your deferral plans and then attend the school that is most receptive to your plans.....

this is just a guess ;)

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks JLee.:)

This whole process is pretty confusing...let me see if I can make it a little bit clearer.

I was not going to withdraw my acceptance at a school until I had at least one deferral in hand. So when I found out I was going to Japan in April I immediately called all of the schools I had been accepted at and spoke to the Dean and asked them if a) they granted deferrals and b) if what I was going to do would merit one.

The Dean at Loyola was like, well all requests must go before the admissions committee, and I responded I understand, but do YOU think that something like this would be granted a deferral...and she eventually said yes, that that sounded like something that would merit a deferral. (For me, I liked Loyola and Creighton so much that I let the deferral decide where I was going to go since I couldn't decide on my own!)

Up until May 15th, having multiple deferrals in your hand is considered to be the same as having multiple acceptances...so as long as you are holding on to only one acceptance/deferral by May 15th you are good to go.

Of course, if you want, you can select your school for May 15th and then try to apply for the deferral...it's just that you are sort of putting all of your eggs in one basket, as it would suck if the school you chose doesn't grant you a deferral but one of the schools you declined would have.

(As far as UT-Southwestern, if I were to accept there it would mean that I gave up my acceptance/deferral to Creighton as you cannot hold multiple acceptances/deferrals after May 15)

Hope this helps.