How effective is a good run in a master's program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warcax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a 3.62c and 3.72s gpa. But there is a complete lack of seriousness throughout my progress, like a bunch of class withdrawals etc... Performance inconsistency like 2 quarters close to 4.0 then a 3.2 etc. Basically a rollercoaster. To make matters worse, my last two quarters are pretty weak and i am graduating.

I was wondering if a good run through a master's program could do me some good. Like close to a 4.00 with a solid thesis in M.S/M.A biology, chemistry or Biochem.

Also if master's degrees are pretty useless... what should i aim for on my MCAT for cali and out of cali?

And one more thing, say someone with a comparative gpa as myself wants to get into an upper tier medical school, what are possible solutions to re-mediate this deficiency short of restarting a BS ? I mean a good post bacc. year could help get you somewhere in this particular situation, but hardly a upper tier right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are a few allopathic med schools that regard the BCPM of a hard-science masters, but the majority will judge you based on undergrad performance. Applying with a downward grade trend is not a good idea. I'd suggest some additional undergrad postbac work if you are set on graduating (at another school is fine). Or delaying graduation by taking on a minor that would give you access to upper-level science classes (if CA schools let you do that). I think you'll need a year of solid consistent performance to reassure adcomms that you have what it takes.

For CA schools, you'd aim for a 35+ MCAT plus some unique component to your Experiences list. For OOS, a 32 would do it, provided the rest of the application is in order, you have strong LORs, good Personal Statement, and the usual ECs.

What is considered a roller coaster ride? My gpa goes up and down every semester. (usually ranging from 3.8 to 3.5). I mean, you can have straight A's but one B- that will screw you down to a 3.5. Which has happened.

I guess 4.0 to 3.2 is really drastic, and the excess number of withdrawals probably look bad, but taking time off to work and do some research might be better than getting a masters degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
say someone with a comparative gpa as myself wants to get into an upper tier medical school, what are possible solutions to re-mediate this deficiency short of restarting a BS ? I mean a good post bacc. year could help get you somewhere in this particular situation, but hardly a upper tier right?
Correct. I think for someone in your situation to appeal to top schools, you'd need an experience that is unique: research discovering a unique compound with potential to eradicate AIDS or a form of cancer and lots of pubs, Olympic gold winner, exciting invention, extraordinary leadership providing services to thousands (Mother Theresa-like). Well, yes, I'm exagerating a bit, but it takes nearly that and an MCAT of 35+ for a person with a great GPA to get into one of those schools.

I've got a 3.62c and 3.72s gpa. But there is a complete lack of seriousness throughout my progress, like a bunch of class withdrawals etc... Performance inconsistency like 2 quarters close to 4.0 then a 3.2 etc. Basically a rollercoaster. To make matters worse, my last two quarters are pretty weak and i am graduating.

I was wondering if a good run through a master's program could do me some good. Like close to a 4.00 with a solid thesis in M.S/M.A biology, chemistry or Biochem.

Also if master's degrees are pretty useless... what should i aim for on my MCAT for cali and out of cali?

And one more thing, say someone with a comparative gpa as myself wants to get into an upper tier medical school, what are possible solutions to re-mediate this deficiency short of restarting a BS ? I mean a good post bacc. year could help get you somewhere in this particular situation, but hardly a upper tier right?

Not sure why every pre-med thinks they have to go to a top tier med school. What happens to most is they get into a "top tier school" which is usually private, have twice as much debt, and end up in a residency where most of their peers are from allopathic state schools (or DOs, FMGs)... Just get in somewhere...

Assuming your MCAT is decent, don't waste your time with a grad program that is going to take you nowhere. What are you going to do with a Master's in biology? uh, uh, teach high school? be a lab monkey? If you want to get a grad degree to make you look better do something that is useful in the future--MBA with emphasis in healthcare, MPH, etc.

Bouncy GPAs seem to me like a bad sign. What's to say you won't bounce in med school and end up flunking something? I'm not saying that you will, just that that is what admissions people might think.

A master's program probably won't help someone in your situation much. Your current GPA is probably competitive at up to mid-tier schools if matched with a good MCAT. Top schools will need a killer MCAT and a great story.

Correct. I think for someone in your situation to appeal to top schools, you'd need an experience that is unique: research discovering a unique compound with potential to eradicate AIDS or a form of cancer and lots of pubs, Olympic gold winner, exciting invention, extraordinary leadership providing services to thousands (Mother Theresa-like). Well, yes, I'm exagerating a bit, but it takes nearly that and an MCAT of 35+ for a person with a great GPA to get into one of those schools.

I know you are doing your job and just telling it how it is but that is absolutely ridiculous. A brilliant scientist is much more valuable from a utilitarian perspective than an M.D. from Butt**** ivy. I am really not sure what a school would teach somebody with that degree of talent and dedication that they can't find out on their own. Arguably it brings like minded people into contact and creates an environment for them to thrive in, but wow.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help. These few paragraphs have been pretty eye opening. I think will go for one year of post bacc., focus and try my best on the mcat and build up my ECs.... Apply everywhere and pray

Not sure why every pre-med thinks they have to go to a top tier med school. What happens to most is they get into a "top tier school" which is usually private, have twice as much debt, and end up in a residency where most of their peers are from allopathic state schools (or DOs, FMGs)... Just get in somewhere...

Assuming your MCAT is decent, don't waste your time with a grad program that is going to take you nowhere. What are you going to do with a Master's in biology? uh, uh, teach high school? be a lab monkey? If you want to get a grad degree to make you look better do something that is useful in the future--MBA with emphasis in healthcare, MPH, etc.

It's obviously for cock strutting purposes. We live in a country which emphasizes competition at the expense of others... so. Anyways you are correct, MS/Ma would be a waste of time. I will look into MBA, but prolly end up in post bacc. Thanks though!

Last edited: