yzf600

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
Indiana
Status
I just got word from a friend that her interviewers last cycle (one MD school and one DO school) pretty much overemphasized a LOR from a Doc. she shadowed.

So how effective really can a strong LOR be at swaying a schools impression of you?

Like in my case, I have below average stats, but could a good LOR push an adcom. to think twice about giving me a shot?

MissCutie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2005
Status
yzf600 said:
I just got word from a friend that her interviewers last cycle (one MD school and one DO school) pretty much overemphasized a LOR from a Doc. she shadowed.

So how effective really can a strong LOR be at swaying a schools impression of you?

Like in my case, I have below average stats, but could a good LOR push an adcom. to think twice about giving me a shot?
My understanding is that if letters are exceptional, they can help offset scores. My source of information is a professor of mine who used to be on UM Med School's Admission Committee. Her husband still is. I dont know if it applies to everyone everywhere, but that's her insight.

About the Ads

BozoSparky

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
yzf600 said:

A good letter is very powerful! I don't know how to quantify it for ya, though. So yes, do your best to get a great LOR!!! I imagine a good letter can be the deciding factor between otherwise identical applicants (premeds with identical stats seem to be a dime a dozen).

SpenserKuntz

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I've heard mixed reviews about shadowing physicians (both good and bad). Is it a good idea? What other EC activities might look better on applications?

As for LOR's, what do adcoms like better - professors, someone you volunteered for/with, a physician you shadowed? I know that many graduate schools take LOR's into account, big time, I just don't know much more than that.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
i had a very strong LOR when i applied to an accelerated masters. I was recruited before even my MCAT scores came. They can definitely go a long way

jillibean

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
IMO, a super strong letter from a MD that has worked with you or a professor that sees a lot of pre-meds (i.e. O chem) could go a long way.... I am just guessing though.

Erina

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
SpenserKuntz said:
I've heard mixed reviews about shadowing physicians (both good and bad). Is it a good idea? What other EC activities might look better on applications?

As for LOR's, what do adcoms like better - professors, someone you volunteered for/with, a physician you shadowed? I know that many graduate schools take LOR's into account, big time, I just don't know much more than that.
in my opinion, shadowing is a great addition to your application--so much so that it may look weird if you don't have any. med schools want to see that you know what you're getting into so shadowing shows that you've seen what doctors do. if you can do the same sort of thing through volunteering, that works too...but you definitely want to get some sort of experience like shadowing.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
yzf600 said:

A letter itself per se can help you but probably not get you past "below average" stats. Almost everyone applying has good to great LORs, or they wouldn't have asked the writers to write one. Using pull from someone with strong connections by means of a LOR might make a difference though.

tifa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
jillibean said:
IMO, a super strong letter from a MD that has worked with you or a professor that sees a lot of pre-meds (i.e. O chem) could go a long way.... I am just guessing though.
it's also good to get a letter from a NON-premed class. Show's you’re well rounded and can do other things besides science successfully.

SirTony76

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
Status
MD/PhD Student
I was told by an MCW admissions committee member that all letters he see's are "walk on water" so a great letter of rec is an equalizer, not a distinguisher

TP

OP
Y

yzf600

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
Indiana
Status
So....I just got done chatting it up with my LOR friend.

One of the interviewers said, "This is ONE OF THE BEST letters that I have ever read"

I'm guessing these things have to be pretty damn good to get a spot in the "interview" folder :rolleyes:

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LORs matter a lot more than I thought they would. In my case (admittedly a somewhat special case), I'm almost positive they helped push me over the top. I had quite a few LORs in my file that I sent to most schools, but they were mentioned several times during my interviews. I think in my case it was the set of LORs that made a difference, not just one or two. Try to get as good and diverse ones as possible.

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
Law2Doc said:
A letter itself per se can help you but probably not get you past "below average" stats. Almost everyone applying has good to great LORs, or they wouldn't have asked the writers to write one. Using pull from someone with strong connections by means of a LOR might make a difference though.
For the most part, LORs are glowing, yet very trite and impersonal.

If you get a letter that says "this student is very hard working, he'll be a great doctor!" then they'll just look at it and it will effect you neutrally (this is only because most LORs say the same thing.)

Unfortunately, I think that since most LORs are glowing, a bad LOR can detrimentally affect you....fortunately, these LORs are rare, particularly if you choose your recommendors wisely.

Finally (which seems to be the situation in your case), if you can find a recommendor who genuinely knows you and writes a unique or distinguishable letter about you, then it might be enough to push you over the edge...but let me emphasize one thing: it will usually do only a little bit of good granted your recommendor isn't Hemingway.

Bottom Line: LORs kind of suck. For the most part, they have no effect since everyone has glowing LORs (yet they sure are a pain to get). Furthermore, a good LOR can only help you a nudge and a bad LOR could kill your chances.
-Dr. P.

About the Ads