• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

How elaborate should I get on AMCAS ECs?

Alex1803

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2006
    As of right now I only have a paragraph or two that briefly describes what the activity was and what I took away from the experiences. I didn't go into too much detail. Is this the right thing to do or should I fully explain and describe as many details as I can? I originally thought that this area on the application was for Adcoms to generally see what you were up to and ask about more detail in interviews.

nycpizza

hi hihihi
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jan 8, 2006
    nyc
    1. Pre-Medical
      Hey, I'm having a similar problem.

I think I'm going to keep it short and simple and just have enough info there so they know what my roles are. I have a feeling if it's too lengthy, they are going to get bored and end up skimming through it. Keep it simple. But if there's something that you want them to know and couldn't fit it in your PS, then I would jot those down as well.

Alex1803

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Mar 28, 2006
        Yeah, I agree. I think I'm basically going to tell what the activity was, some specifics on how long I did it, briefly what I did, and what I took away from it (and how that relates to me being a physician).

About the Ads

Labslave

10+ Year Member
        Aug 19, 2005
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Alex1803 said:
          Yeah, I agree. I think I'm basically going to tell what the activity was, some specifics on how long I did it, briefly what I did, and what I took away from it (and how that relates to me being a physician).
          Sounds like you guys have the right idea. Please make sure to not have a carbon copy of the EC description in your personal statement if you choose to mention a particular EC activity - it'll make you look lazy. Good luck. :thumbup:

-Goose-

10+ Year Member
          Jul 7, 2005
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Short and sweet, baby. Think about how you would feel after reading hundreds and hundreds of AMCAS apps as an ADCOM member. I would appreciate someone who could really get at the 'meat' of what they wanted to say.

I wrote what I wanted to write and then went back and downsized it by ~30-40% (except for 1 or 2 activities that warranted a little bit more info).

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.