How far back for ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfdrc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For you other late twenty/thirties applicants, how far are you reaching back for the ECs on the AMCAS? I don't know whether it would be better to just give the Adcomms a few good recent things to really read, or if more is better, even if it was ten years ago.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, I searched, but didn't find.

Members don't see this ad.

I decided to go all the way back and list the ones that were medical related (I was premed in college until the adviser at my fifth college said I had transfered too many times and needed solid career experience before applying):

AIDs education/awareness training -is that dating myself
Shadowing my old Pediatrician for a summer

But I am only giving them one quick bullet. Kind of a, "Hey I did it, and see I have been interested in Medicine for a very long time".

I decided to go all the way back and list the ones that were medical related (I was premed in college until the adviser at my fifth college said I had transfered too many times and needed solid career experience before applying):

But I am only giving them one quick bullet. Kind of a, "Hey I did it, and see I have been interested in Medicine for a very long time".
Good advice here ^^^^. Give more emphasis on recent activities, but listing the old stuff is good to show long-term demonstrated interest as opposed to a mid-life crisis or spur of the moment change of heart.

That said, nothing before college...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I went back to college and used the things that I was involved in for 1+ years: community service, student govt, campus tour guide. But most of my activities were post-grad school employment and things I've done related to my career (committees, etc).

Agreed- nothing from HS or earlier.