How far back for ECs?

Started by lfdrc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lfdrc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For you other late twenty/thirties applicants, how far are you reaching back for the ECs on the AMCAS? I don't know whether it would be better to just give the Adcomms a few good recent things to really read, or if more is better, even if it was ten years ago.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, I searched, but didn't find.
 
I decided to go all the way back and list the ones that were medical related (I was premed in college until the adviser at my fifth college said I had transfered too many times and needed solid career experience before applying):

AIDs education/awareness training -is that dating myself
Shadowing my old Pediatrician for a summer

But I am only giving them one quick bullet. Kind of a, "Hey I did it, and see I have been interested in Medicine for a very long time".
 
I decided to go all the way back and list the ones that were medical related (I was premed in college until the adviser at my fifth college said I had transfered too many times and needed solid career experience before applying):

But I am only giving them one quick bullet. Kind of a, "Hey I did it, and see I have been interested in Medicine for a very long time".
Good advice here ^^^^. Give more emphasis on recent activities, but listing the old stuff is good to show long-term demonstrated interest as opposed to a mid-life crisis or spur of the moment change of heart.

That said, nothing before college...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I went back to college and used the things that I was involved in for 1+ years: community service, student govt, campus tour guide. But most of my activities were post-grad school employment and things I've done related to my career (committees, etc).

Agreed- nothing from HS or earlier.