How far down the rank list do most people match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PosteriorEmbryotoxon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I know this is going to depend on the applicant's overall competitiveness and as well as the programs they are ranking. The SF Match does not post this information like the NRMP match does. But just anecdotally, does anyone have any input?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just curious. I know this is going to depend on the applicant's overall competitiveness and as well as the programs they are ranking. The SF Match does not post this information like the NRMP match does. But just anecdotally, does anyone have any input?

It's all over the map...

Hard to say. Depends on how you formulate your rank list and how many you have on your list. Obviously the more prestigious places you have on your list, the lower down you may go (or not even match at all), while if you have many places where you have a good success of matching, you may not go very far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of someone who got into ortho. They applied to many places but only got one interview and got in. They had to go far down my list when I applied. Some get their first choice.

Looking through the match stats threads it looks like just under half of those who posted matched at their #1. Encouraging, but certainly not predictive. Anecdotally I have been shocked at the number of interviews some applicants are choosing to go on this year, 20+ amazes me.

Looking through the match stats threads it looks like just under half of those who posted matched at their #1. Encouraging, but certainly not predictive. Anecdotally I have been shocked at the number of interviews some applicants are choosing to go on this year, 20+ amazes me.

True, but, when I applied last year, I recall someone on here stating he/she did not match despite attending 17 interviews. Scary stuff...

I think once people get to the interview it really does come down to a "fit", and if the person is a great applicant but has an abrasive personality or baseline weird, it doesn't help in the speed dating type interview I've experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think people who match highly are more likely to post their match results here because they are proud of them. It's highly unlikely that that sample is truly representative of the average matched applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
In April 2013 issue of ophthalmology entitled "predictors of matching in an ophthalmology residency program," Loh et al examines medical students applying to ophtho from 2003 to 2008. Among other things, they found that of those who matched, 89% matched in their top 5 and 41% matched at their number 1 choice.

I think once people get to the interview it really does come down to a "fit", and if the person is a great applicant but has an abrasive personality or baseline weird, it doesn't help in the speed dating type interview I've experienced.

This is not true. In the end programs have different components they consider highly over others. And the interview is one piece of the pie. I don't believe once you get to the interview you are on a level playing field. If you're already level with grades and scores then interview can lift you slightly above but if you're above or below average you generally are still above or below average.

Every little bit helps... But some things are difficult to overcome...

In April 2013 issue of ophthalmology entitled "predictors of matching in an ophthalmology residency program," Loh et al examines medical students applying to ophtho from 2003 to 2008. Among other things, they found that of those who matched, 89% matched in their top 5 and 41% matched at their number 1 choice.

That data is self-reported. Students who match highly are probably more likely to respond to surveys about their match success. But I'll admit, even if those numbers are anywhere close to accurate (say 70% match top 5) I'm surprised by how many people match so highly on their rank lists!

That data is self-reported. Students who match highly are probably more likely to respond to surveys about their match success. But I'll admit, even if those numbers are anywhere close to accurate (say 70% match top 5) I'm surprised by how many people match so highly on their rank lists!
It wasn't a survey. They took data from the SF Match database. 3435 medical students from 2003 to 2008. You can read it in the methods.

Reactions: 1 users
A random question. Do you guys think telling a program you are ranking them #1 would change anything?

A random question. Do you guys think telling a program you are ranking them #1 would change anything?

No, but it makes us feel better when we communicate with programs.

Reactions: 1 users
So this the dilemma I am having. I interviewed at 2 top tier programs and I don't think I have a shot there (curtsey interviews). I didn't get a good number of interviews so I am debating if I actually should rank one of the mid tier programs I interviewed at #1 so I could tell them I ranked them #1. I rather end up matching at my 3rd choice instead of going all the way to the bottom or not matching at all. Do you guys think this is reasonable?

So this the dilemma I am having. I interviewed at 2 top tier programs and I don't think I have a shot there (curtsey interviews). I didn't get a good number of interviews so I am debating if I actually should rank one of the mid tier programs I interviewed at #1 so I could tell them I ranked them #1. I rather end up matching at my 3rd choice instead of going all the way to the bottom or not matching at all. Do you guys think this is reasonable?

Ultimately it won't make much of a difference. You should rank how you want. The ability to tell a program you ranked them #1 should not influence ur decision. Most rank lists are made the day after to the week after the interview.

I agree. It doesn't help to tell them later that you ranked them #1.

I know of one program where the chair assured me that he liked my application and was going to rank it at or near the top. I later found out that he told everyone that! At the end of the interview day, I asked a someone that they said they had been told that, too. The two of us then asked at least 3 others, all of whom were told the same thing! At the end, I didn't match with them but had to go farther down my list so I conclude it was not the truth.

I agree. It doesn't help to tell them later that you ranked them #1.

I know of one program where the chair assured me that he liked my application and was going to rank it at or near the top. I later found out that he told everyone that! At the end of the interview day, I asked a someone that they said they had been told that, too. The two of us then asked at least 3 others, all of whom were told the same thing! At the end, I didn't match with them but had to go farther down my list so I conclude it was not the truth.

To be fair the chair may have ranked you high but everyone else may have not been a fan. At some programs the chair's vote is equally weighted as the rest of the committee (my program is this way)

To be fair the chair may have ranked you high but everyone else may have not been a fan. At some programs the chair's vote is equally weighted as the rest of the committee (my program is this way)

May be true, but I have heard of several programs reaching out to applicants "recruiting" them and then not matching there. I also knew of someone who experienced this and they went COMPLETELY unmatched. All in all its lame and faculty and admin are pretty aware that this is a tense time. Empty promises and wooing kinda sucks when you get screwed.