How far would you commute?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently the market where I am is quite saturated and I've been having difficulty finding work near my area since graduation this past june so I expanded my search and I found openings roughly according to googlemap- 110mi~1hr 40 min and 97mi ~1.5hrs. Not considering weather and traffic in Ny in the commute time. Perhaps to temporarily commute until I find a apt or something. I mean, I haven't applied yet and wasn't sure if I should just go for it cause I might not even be hired. The commuting is limiting me in applying. I would like some advise regarding commuting and how far is ppl willing or had commute for a job

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have kids, maybe you can consider staying at a motel/extended stay place near by? Probably run you around $50-$80/night, saving 4 hours of driving + fuel cost might be a pretty decent trade off.

When I first started my job I commuted an hour and a half each way (45 miles, but in a bad traffic area) for the first few months. It was doable, but miserable. I knew it would be temporary when I first started and moved closer to work after about 3mo. I think you would be fine doing it short term, but not forever...

Members don't see this ad :)
As you said you haven't even applied yet. First put in your applications and then decide. The next wave of 13,000 pharmacists will be graduating in a few months. Also, look into apartments around the area now and see how long it will take to get one.

What makes the decision of relocating closer to work is that most employment situations for pharmacists are very flaky. Put down deposit , first, and last for an apartment, only to discover the new job is a turnover position or the DM is a sadist and transfers you elsewhere or back into floater hell. If possible it might be good to live near major interstates/highways. A good part of a commute is spent in local traffic.

Stay in a cheap motel two or three nights a week. Tell the motel manager you will be staying two nights a week for a minimum three months and negotiate a deal with him. Usually works, they are not going to turn 3 months business down.

You seem to be asking a lot of questions that may not apply to you at the end.

Don't worry about these issues. Apply first and once you get a job then start thinking about it. The next wave of new grads are coming on the market soon and people are going to question why you have not worked in a year.

You need to get a job ASAP. Good luck.

I work at a hospital 84 miles from my apartment.

I rent a room out where I work for $450/mo.

I work 4 10 hour shifts a week, and get 2 round trips + some city driving on a tank of gas. Tank of gas ~$60.

So if I went back and forth every single day I would be spending $480/mo just on gas for commuting plus a dog walker 4 days a week.

I actually come out ahead by living 2 places, and haven't had to compete ruin my life by living in suburbia.

That said - I have my dream job. I honestly love being at work and the people I work with. And after a year of this, I'm getting burned out. If I did this for a job I didn't love I would hate my life.

I work at a hospital 84 miles from my apartment.

I rent a room out where I work for $450/mo.

I work 4 10 hour shifts a week, and get 2 round trips + some city driving on a tank of gas. Tank of gas ~$60.

So if I went back and forth every single day I would be spending $480/mo just on gas for commuting plus a dog walker 4 days a week.

I actually come out ahead by living 2 places, and haven't had to compete ruin my life by living in suburbia.

That said - I have my dream job. I honestly love being at work and the people I work with. And after a year of this, I'm getting burned out. If I did this for a job I didn't love I would hate my life.
I'm about the same distance, but I work retail, 7 shifts in 14 days.

I thought about doing a 7 on/7off and having an apartment there, but I wouldn't like being away from my girlfriend that much. Plus last thing I want to do after working a 12 hour day is come home to an apartment with nobody there, no meal ready, no laundry done, etc so I pretty much work every other day, with the exception of a fri-sat-sun weekend. I sleep in my own bed every night, and have only considered a cheapo motel on my friday night into saturday morning shift. I get good gas mileage so motel cost > gas + tolls by about $30.

I'm only 6 months in, but I really don't mind it that much. I listen to the morning shows for a laugh on the way in, and I talk to my parents on the way home, which is nice because I don't live close to them. Obviously from a financial standpoint I'd love a closer job, but I'm happy with how things are going.

Answer: depends.

It would require a thoughtful consideration of compensation/benefits, job/management satisfaction, schedule satisfaction, quality of commute, cost of living, and whether the job serves as a dead end or improves my chances for a promotion or a better job elsewhere.

As one aspect improves, I'd be more tolerant of other aspects slipping.

My current FT job is an hour away...I reap the benefits of living in a lower cost area while working in a really really high cost city and my commute is tolerable at best. But my job is slightly unicorn status that I can parlay in 1-3 years into something better inside or outside the health system.

If I had a strictly staffing job with no move up potential and got paid what I was originally offered, I'd probably be on job #2 by now.

I thought about doing a 7 on/7off and having an apartment there, but I wouldn't like being away from my girlfriend that much.

And that's part of what's wearing on me - I work 12-2230, so there's no traffic, but being single, it's hell on dating life.

I do love that I'm caught up on NPR and all of my podcasts. I live far from my family, but the timing doesn't work out for phone calls.

I should add that the room near work is all of 5 minutes from work. So I leave the house 20 minutes before my shift starts and still have time to hit Starbucks.

A big reason why I don't go home more during long stretches of shifts is that my neighborhood is street parking, so finding a spot at midnight can be tough. My next apartment will have assigned parking.

Apply for the job, but when you get an interview, be prepared to answer questions about the commute. When I was applying for jobs post-residency, I applied at a couple of places that were over 1 hour away from where I lived (not including traffic). Part of the reason I didn't get hired for those jobs is that I wouldn't be able to get in quickly enough if I were on-call and I wasn't as sensible as the folks above, who'd worked out arrangements to stay somewhere closer to work. But, if you can find a way to get closer to work - or tell them that you plan to move ASAP after you get the job - it might work.

Good luck! I did commute an hour each way to a job at one point and it was extremely annoying… but still way better than being unemployed.

i live 1.1 miles from work. i ride my bike.

I have been commuting ~60 miles back and fourth for the last 2.5 years. I'm starting to get burned out with the drive and what makes it worse is that I have to pick my daughter's up from two separate schools on the way home. I'm very fortunate to have a great job, but I can't possibly do this forever :(

Also, it wears on my cars. I bought a new car with a 100k mile warranty and I'm already up to 50k miles since I began working. I'm looking at getting 1/2 of my original warranty. Not to mention upkeep and gas.

Just apply and see what happens. You can commute for a little while and then find a place to live closer to work. I commuted 1 hour each way for a little over 3 years. It was a great semi unicorn position and I learned a lot while I was working there but commuting long term is just not in the cards for me. Sometimes you have to suck it up and take a position that is not your dream job. Work hard and gain the experience necessary to get your dream job! I now live and work in the city, with a 10-15 minute commute.

I have no regrets about paying my dues and working with some awesome people at my previous job but getting rid of the commute has been one of the best moves I have made in years! My wife and I can cook together multiple nights per week, I see friends for happy hour in the city regularly, I have time to enjoy the evening, and I have time to exercise every morning. :) I have fun at work and enjoy being there but I do not live to work. Given the choice, I will always choose time with family/friends/hobbies over work.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/05/your_commute_is_killing_you.html

My current commute is a little under 1 hour.

I've done 1.5 hr commutes in the past and it will wear you down. If this is to get your foot in the door for a desirable job, then apply & accept the job. Once you pass your probation period, you can always move closer to work.

Currently the market where I am is quite saturated and I've been having difficulty finding work near my area since graduation this past june so I expanded my search and I found openings roughly according to googlemap- 110mi~1hr 40 min and 97mi ~1.5hrs. Not considering weather and traffic in Ny in the commute time. Perhaps to temporarily commute until I find a apt or something. I mean, I haven't applied yet and wasn't sure if I should just go for it cause I might not even be hired. The commuting is limiting me in applying. I would like some advise regarding commuting and how far is ppl willing or had commute for a job