How fast is too fast for prereqs/MCAT completion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Signaq

Signaq
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 40-ish and have been an ANP for 10+ years. I have a BA and MS already with ~ 3.7gpa. I am taking my prereqs turbo-style so I don't need senior citizen waivers to pay my tuition. This means taking chem1/bio1/physics1 in fall 2009, chem2/bio2/physics2 in the spring 2010, and ochem 1+2 in summer 2010 with MCAT afterwards in mid-August 2010. My plan is to submit app and all supporting materials (LOR, state residency docs...) June 1, 2010 on Day 1 of the admission cycle and then have MCAT scores sent to adcom when available (?mid-Sept 2010).

My concern is the impact of not having a 100% complete application in adcom's hands June 1/the earliest applications are accepted. With the above schedule, adcom won't have my MCAT scores before mid September. My favorite med school gives a November 1 deadline for completed application. Do only schmucks complete their application mid cycle? Am I really at a strategic disadvantage, or do adcoms routinely see nontrads in this situtation.

Should I delay my application efforts a year to have a complete app +MCAT scores on Day 1, or should I take a chance and apply midpack with appication in early and MCAT trailing behind but still within the allotted time. Should I stay or should I go now (isn't that a song?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hm...that's a good question. You can submit a primary without the MCAT score...and they will even send you secondaries. I'm not sure if you would be marked complete without an MCAT score though, even if they know you are taking it and are expecting a score in september. I would say though, if you want to be an ultra-early applicant...I don't know if it's possible with an August MCAT. You would have to wait a year. Then again, for a non-trad as yourself, I'm not sure if it would matter as much, if your MCAT is later than the rest of your application. Hopefully some non-trads can answer this...

If you have a great application, and are complete by mid-september, I think you'll be ok. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 40-ish and have been an ANP for 10+ years. I have a BA and MS already with ~ 3.7gpa. I am taking my prereqs turbo-style so I don't need senior citizen waivers to pay my tuition. This means taking chem1/bio1/physics1 in fall 2009, chem2/bio2/physics2 in the spring 2010, and ochem 1+2 in summer 2010 with MCAT afterwards in mid-August 2010. My plan is to submit app and all supporting materials (LOR, state residency docs...) June 1, 2010 on Day 1 of the admission cycle and then have MCAT scores sent to adcom when available (?mid-Sept 2010).

My concern is the impact of not having a 100% complete application in adcom's hands June 1/the earliest applications are accepted. With the above schedule, adcom won't have my MCAT scores before mid September. My favorite med school gives a November 1 deadline for completed application. Do only schmucks complete their application mid cycle? Am I really at a strategic disadvantage, or do adcoms routinely see nontrads in this situtation.

Should I delay my application efforts a year to have a complete app +MCAT scores on Day 1, or should I take a chance and apply midpack with appication in early and MCAT trailing behind but still within the allotted time. Should I stay or should I go now (isn't that a song?)

The more competitive your uGPA (get the graduate average out of the equation) and scores in the Medical College Admissions Test, the later you can apply. The later you apply, the greater the disadvantage unless you are well above the uGPA/MCAT averages for a school. Even then, you run the risk of interview slots being filled and being placed on pre-interview hold.

Graduate doesn't actually figure much into the process and thus if you are using your graduate grades to up your GPA average, you are likely lower than that 3.7. Add your post-bacc grades with your grades from your undergraduate degrees and then see where land. Do remember that for matriculants, that 3.7 is only around the latest averages of 3.65 and that by the time you apply, that 3.7 may be just average for most medical schools.

Your competition will be the pool of applicants to the schools that you apply to. In general, if you are on the lower side of the uGPA/MCAT line (for a particular school never mind the national averages), you NEED the earlier submission date.

In any event, you should never hold admissions materials for an MCAT score. If you do that, you will be very late with that September test date and likely too late for most schools. Sure, you run a risk that if you don't do well on the MCAT, that you application is not going to be competitive but in any event, competitive of not, it won't be complete until those scores (good or bad) reach your schools.

Thanks y'all. It's funny to think about my grades 25 years ago being relevant. Maybe I should get my high school drama coach to write me a recommendation! :)