How feasible is it to work while studying in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baywatch123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone in this situation provide some guidance?

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible, I know of a few who do some freelance work on the side.

Is it possible if you want to be among the top of your class? No. All that extra time could be spent in lab, doing research, studying, or doing community service.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s possible but it means sacrificing other things like maximizing your grades, building your extracurricular resume, or being social with your class. If you were a previous professional and had a skill that you could use to work part time and make good $/hr then it might be worth t. If you’re going to pull $15/hr bussing tables, I think you’re wasting time given how expensive school is

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I did. I worked mainly as a biochemistry tutor for dental and medical students during my sophomore and junior years. It was a great experience. It had no adverse affects on my studies. In fact, it helped reinforce information which proved beneficial when taking NBDE. The main thing is to manage your time wisely

I worked like 20 hours a week in D2 to save money for an engagement ring for my now wife. It sucked, real bad, but I still did it. And I was still top of my class. So it's possible, but you do have to give something up whether you realize it or not; grades, social life, mental sanity, all of the above.

Reactions: 3 users
I worked like 20 hours a week in D2 to save money for an engagement ring for my now wife. It sucked, real bad, but I still did it. And I was still top of my class. So it's possible, but you do have to give something up whether you realize it or not; grades, social life, mental sanity, all of the above.
This is inspiring. I plan on asking the big question to my long time girlfriend in the next few years.
Thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a job doing the lecture capture system for my class. It's actually not too much work at all, but it's still a little extra each week to help with expenses. Sometimes you can find stuff on campus that will let you study while working. These are the best jobs around IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked as an RA in the residence hall (Lathrop) at Pitt for two years. No money but board and a single room for 9 months and 400yds from school. Bartended Wednesday and weekends summer of 2nd year till 4th year. Lucked out my 4th year and got a resident directors position (sweet deal, room, board, tuition,parking place and a monthly stipend.) Some of my classmates obtained their hygiene license after second year ($30 - $50 per hr by current salaries) worked Saturday and an evening or two. Personally I wouldn’t recommend a job the first two years unless it’s one that allows ample time to study.

Reactions: 1 users